Which power supply to buy

truegoon

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I am assembling a new PC.

Here are the configuration which i have in mind.

AMD Phenom ii X4 955 BE (Still not decided whether to go for 955BE or 965BE)
Asus M489GTD PRO/USB3
Corsair XMS3 1600 DDR3 4Gb (2x2)
LG 22NS50 DVD RW

The following items can be added in future:
ATI HD 5870 Graphics Card.
Corsair H50 Cooler.

So my question is how much wattage should i go for.

Currently i am thinking of Corsair 550W PSU.
Please let me know if this is ok or are their any cheaper options.

Thank You

550W will be ok as long as you keep it to a single card setup.. Add another 5870 in there and you'd be needing a good 650W PSU to be on the safer side of things..

P.S. - For an extra 20$ and a guaranteed C3 stepping, i guess the X4 965 is worth it..

truegoon

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Ok..

I will be going for a single card setup for the time being.

The doubt about 965 BE was that i read somewhere about its not offering a marked improvement over 955BE.

Also should i just go for corsair or are there any cheaper alternatives in 550W?

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA).

If you have CF in mind for the future, then its better to get a suitable PSU now. No point changing the PSU twice.

Would advice on these,

Corsair TX650W.
XFX 650W.
Seasonic 650W Gold Power (My choice).

If you want some head room then Corsair TX750W.