RAM for AMD board? (GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3)

deepruntramp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hey,

I'd love a recommendation on a RAM kit for the GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3.

My only requirements are:

-It has to be one 2x2GB kit.
-1.5V (or close enough) max.
-Gamer-appropriate stock timings.
-For the love of god, if you're going to recommend G.SKILL, it needs to be fully compatible, out of the freaking box, at manufacturer's settings, with an AM3 board. I don't want to have to research for two days, trying to figure out a waterfall of random BSODs, just to be told by G.SKILL to lower the timings below what's on the freakin' package. [/rant]

Thanks!

deepruntramp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I use the ECO.

It was a nightmare to set up properly on my board in regards to timings. I finally got them stable through two single-channel at 8-8-8-24-1333. Their own packaging says 7-8-7-24-1600 in dual-channel.

G.SKILL basically points its finger at AMD's memory controller -- which, while probably true, makes for a four-day nightmare of drowning in BSODs until, after hours and hours of research, you learn G.SKILL's cover-their-ass line about "optimized for Intel" really means "we have no f-ing clue what you're going to have to do to make this work on an AM3."

I don't need new RAM anymore, but I would NEVER recommend the G.SKILL ECO to anyone with an AMD -- especially Gigabyte -- board.