A disk read error occured

Recently, and seemingly with no provocation, I've been receiving "a disk read error occurred press Ctrl + alt + delete to restart" on startup. Obviously the first time I saw this I thought gg hard drives gone, but upon Ctrl alt delete restart everything works fine. Now it does this every time I turn on my computer, followed by a successful control alt delete restart. What is this a symptom of? Is it a sign of a failing hard drive? Can I fix it? Thanks.

Edit: I ran the manufacturer diagnostic and received this error:

06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 102 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

However the "S.M.A.R.T" test looked fine.

It is a Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB running on Windows 7.
8 answers Last reply
More about disk read error occured
  1. it may be power supply issue
    or cables issue
    so change cables
    and check cables
  2. If it is failing the manufacturer;s diagnostics, I would think the disk is beginning to show signs of impending failure. While it could be a loose cable, or power it is also likely that the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.
  3. I actually think it might of been the 6-pin that was causing it. It was mashed against the side of the case forcing it to bend and it looked a little frayed. I'll see if this works.
  4. ss202sl said:
    If it is failing the manufacturer;s diagnostics, I would think the disk is beginning to show signs of impending failure. While it could be a loose cable, or power it is also likely that the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

It wasn't failing the test something is preventing the test from finishing.
  5. Data LifeGuard doesn't always run properly in a Windows environment. I would try the bootable CD version instead.
  6. fzabkar said:
    Data LifeGuard doesn't always run properly in a Windows environment. I would try the bootable CD version instead.

can u explain more
  7. i remember that i contacted wdc before month about wd black 1 tera problem
    i told them that i made check in windows not in dos

and they did not mentioned that i must make the check with wd data life in dos
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Disk Read Error Storage