Sign in with
Your question

A disk read error occured

Last response: in Storage
October 18, 2012 6:03:41 PM

Recently, and seemingly with no provocation, I've been receiving "a disk read error occurred press Ctrl + alt + delete to restart" on startup. Obviously the first time I saw this I thought gg hard drives gone, but upon Ctrl alt delete restart everything works fine. Now it does this every time I turn on my computer, followed by a successful control alt delete restart. What is this a symptom of? Is it a sign of a failing hard drive? Can I fix it? Thanks.

Edit: I ran the manufacturer diagnostic and received this error:

06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 102 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

However the "S.M.A.R.T" test looked fine.

It is a Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB running on Windows 7.

October 18, 2012 7:08:37 PM

it may be power supply issue
or cables issue
so change cables
and check cables
m
l
a c 80 G Storage
October 18, 2012 7:25:40 PM

If it is failing the manufacturer;s diagnostics, I would think the disk is beginning to show signs of impending failure. While it could be a loose cable, or power it is also likely that the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2012 7:39:43 PM

I actually think it might of been the 6-pin that was causing it. It was mashed against the side of the case forcing it to bend and it looked a little frayed. I'll see if this works.
m
l
October 18, 2012 7:50:42 PM

ss202sl said:
If it is failing the manufacturer;s diagnostics, I would think the disk is beginning to show signs of impending failure. While it could be a loose cable, or power it is also likely that the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

It wasn't failing the test something is preventing the test from finishing.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
October 19, 2012 11:49:24 AM

Data LifeGuard doesn't always run properly in a Windows environment. I would try the bootable CD version instead.
m
l
October 20, 2012 6:38:33 PM

fzabkar said:
Data LifeGuard doesn't always run properly in a Windows environment. I would try the bootable CD version instead.

can u explain more
m
l
October 20, 2012 7:38:51 PM

i remember that i contacted wdc before month about wd black 1 tera problem
i told them that i made check in windows not in dos

and they did not mentioned that i must make the check with wd data life in dos
m
l
!