Sign in with
Your question

Mixing Memory Brands Specifically Corsair and OCZ

Last response: in Memory
May 27, 2011 12:18:40 AM

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased this memory http://bit.ly/kPcMU7 for my system, I currently have this memory installed in my system http://bit.ly/cy2157 I wanted to upgrade my RAM to 12 gigs, my question is will they conflict? Even if i changed the OCZ RAM latency from 8-8-8-24 to 9-9-9-24 to match Corsiar RAM? I know they both use the same voltage 1.65V.

Or should i buy another Corsair Kit so they will match?

Also I read on Manufacturer responses on Newegg that the Memory Controller on the Core i7 1366 CPU's can't handle 12 gigs @ 1600 MHZ, only 1333MHZ is this true? should I lower the frequency on the memory also along with the latency. or is this incorrect?

Thanks in advance.

May 27, 2011 12:54:49 AM

Sorry I forgot to add my system Spec:

Asus P6X58D-E MOBO
Core i7 930 Stock
Corsair TX850 PSU
EVGA GTX 560 TI DS GPU
Creative Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E Sound Card
Killer 2100 NIC
HAF 932 Case
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler Dual Fan Push Pull Config
m
l
a b } Memory
May 27, 2011 4:11:07 AM

Mixing memory is unpredictable at best. The ONLY way to know it if will work is to install and test it.

As for the 6 modules at 1600MHz, most good Core i7 CPUs will actually do it. But, what they are telling you is that it is not officially supported. But, as with mixing, when you are OCing, the only way to know if it is stable is to do it and test.
m
l
May 27, 2011 3:21:58 PM

Ahh so you're telling me that Intel doesn't officially support it, good to know I guess I'll just lower the timings to 9-9-9-24 and if need be lower the frequency to 1333 but i'll run memtest to see if it is stable at 1600

The settings I have for the ram right now are:

In the Ai Tweaker menu

Set AI Overclock Tuner to { Manual }

Set DRAM Frequency to { 1600 Mhz }

Set QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to { 1.35 volts }
Set DRAM Bus Voltage to { 1.65 Volts }

Set CPU and PCIE Spread Spectrums both to { Disabled }

Under DRAM Timing Control

Set DRAM Timings to 8-8-8-24 ( CL-TRCD-TRP-TRAS )
Set DRAM REF Cycle Time to { 88 DRAM Clocks }
Set DRAM Timing Mode to { 2N }

should i change any other settings when i install the new memory other than the DRAM Timings? These are the setting I got from the OCZ forums website.

BTW Yellowbeard is one my favorite Comedies, love that movie EL Nebuloso LOL.
m
l
!