Ultimatepc

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hey Guys upgrading from 17" CRT but need help with my final choice,.....

SAMSUNG® B2330H LCD - 23" Wide, 16:9 HD Format, 1920x1080, 5ms Response Time, 70000:1 Contrast Ratio, 300cd/m² Bright - D-SUB, DVI, HDMI

VS

LG E2350V 23" Wide HD LED, WUXGA, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, Contrast 5Million:1 VGA, DVI, HDMI

The LG LED is a tad more expencive but in my budget

What do you guys recon??

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Only the backlight is different. Both screens are LCD so the color and contrast producing mechanism is identical. You won't get better color quality or static contrast.

The 5 million to 1 contrast is dynamic so you will never see such difference on the screen at any given time. The LCD TN panel can only block out so much light to produce 1000:1 contrast and nothing more. Same with the samsung, it will only have 1000:1 contrast for practical purposes.

If you are paying something like $100 more for the LED backlit monitor I would pass on that. LED isn't that supurior by any means, it is only a backlight. Like the bulb of a projector it isn't really a game changer. If it is something like $20 then do it.

LED backlight is only good for a couple things.

Low power
Low heat
Instant on
No warmup time
Also makes the colors slightly colder and more blue so you get a whiter white but colors are affected so this isn't really a plus.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not saying it is fantastic. We are talking about white here, so the picture will not be clearer, better etc. Just whiter.

To show what I mean. Take a pice of white a4 paper and hold it next to a "white" area on your screen. The paper is white. Your screen is not.
Of course, your eyes and brain gets used to your monitor, so in reality the difference wont seem as large at it may do if you put two screens next to eachother.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
It depends on which CCFL monitor you are comparing to. I have an LED monitor, and it certainly looks more blue and the white seems more natural but the colors are not even close to my CCFL monitor.

Another thing. What is considered white. As said above me, hold an A4 paper against the screen and you will notice neither CCFL and LED backlight monitors seems white.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Of course, you are right in both your statements. I was simply making a general comparison between the two.

Both white and black are rather difficult to emulate in a monitor.
I guess I just prefer the white in monitors with LED-backlight. :)

Actually, I prefer crt-monitors, but they are a bit impractical.