Development workstation

jbangert

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I will soon be moving to the US and want to grab the occasion to purchase a new computer. buying a bit more upmarket this time so that I can run my development test builds ( parsing a large database that currently takes a few hours even with reduced test datasets on an 8GB Q6600, and as I have to debug the software speed=productivity)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Must not ship before Sept. 5

BUDGET RANGE: Around 2000$-2500$ after rebates, might be a bit over

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Software development and debugging for handling very large databases ( task takes 2 hours with smaller dataset on current 8GB RAM Q6600 build ) , casual Gaming ( nothing too fancy, although I do like to keep things maxxed out) , file serving, scientific computing ( e.g.electronics simulations, rather rare though), watching movies, 3d design( around once a year)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS): OS, I might bring one monitor, will bring 2 HDDs and tape drive + SCSI controller ( so PCI is taken up)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference, but I like warranties and newegg rebates

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Don't understand, want everything from US

PARTS PREFERENCES: NVIDIA GPU is a must

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe ( doubt it is possible, and I'd err on the side of caution)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (in the future, unlikely)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like a quiet PC for running 24h in a small appartment, maybe even close to bed
I would like to primarily run Linux, but need to dual-boot/VM Windows 7. Is it possible to use the IO virtualization which supposedly allows one to add PCI-E cards to VMs to add the gaming GPU to the windows partition, perhaps even on demand?(Windows shutdown = GPU added to Linux )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU:

2* AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8 x 512KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server Processor
( yes, 2 of them )
Comment: 4 might be good if possible, but I think thats WAY beyond budget
RAM:
2*Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G
Comment: Is that compatible? , 4 an option
Mainboard:
ASUS KGPE-D16
1st Hard drive ( very cheap, but free):

Seagate ST31000528AS

No clue: case, cooling, power supply ( has to have 2 connectors, rigth?), 1-2 other harddrives, the more storage the merrier,
strong gaming GPU ( NVIDIA ) , good Keyboard ( maybe DAS KEYBOARD or something else for good heavy coding use, I get sick of the microsoft ones ), average mouse, a nice all-day monitor ( perhaps a used EIZO or is there something equivalently good) ?

Thank you very much for your assistance to a poor, lost college student with too many computing tasks...

jbangert

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
PS, of course a cheap optical drive is a must a well, blueray might be nice if there is a good and cheap one, was thinking about
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181
LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM
$109 USD
or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
$19 USD