Upgraded SSD to 480GB what do I do with 240GB SSD

jerusalem

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I recently purchased a 480GB SSD as I had some extra cash and they have gone down in price. What should I do with my old 240GB SSD. They are the same model just different sizes and I don't want to just throw away the 240GB SSD obviously so should I format it and put game files on it?

Config will be 480GB Corsair force series GT
240GB Corsair force series GT
2TB WD Caviar Black (for movies/music/etc.)

Thank you for any information!

jerusalem

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Mainly gaming. Some multimedia with audacity and fruity loops and movie watching. Primarily games though. So far I kept 240GB as main OS drive and moved steam and all its games over to the 480GB and some other games (still super speedy access times). Still wondering if there's something better to do with it but working out so far and it was easier than reloading OS and all drivers unless I cloned 240gb so no big deal. Thoughts?

popatim

Titan
Ummm... leave it as an OS drive and dual boot.
but leave the drive with just the bare essentials on it and all windows updates.
This way when you need to restore the 480 its a 10 second clone job and *boom* all thats left is to install your current games. You're not spending half a day running windows & drivers updates and the other half the day installing the essentials (flash, java, dx, antivirus, acrobat...) and games.
Its what I do.

And the best part is if the 480 goes down your not stuck without a pc for a week or two.