Which ssd should I get?

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Ok just got an email from newegg with some nice deals on ssd I really want one but don't have much money so I think it's down to these two.
samsung 830 64gb $50
or
ocz vertex plus r2 120gb $60

I can live with just putting the os and one game at a time on it. So should I get the much better samsung or the bigger ocz?

My os is windows 7 home premium sp1 64bit oem

Solution
I would not buy a OCZ drive. They are fast, but only when they work. I have read about a lot of issues with them. The company is in dire straits too. I would get either the Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4.
I recommend Samsung. The Samsung ssd's have a stellar record. Their real world performance is excellent.

I do not recommend OCZ. They've had more than their fair share of technical and financial problems. The Vertex 4 was released prematurely before proper validation was completed. As a result OCZ wound up having to issue 5 firmware updates since its release last April. That is a lot of firmware updates to fix things.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this ssd forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews. You'll find multiple reviews of the Vertex 4 by the same web site. The sites had to publish additional reviews of the Vertex 4 because of all those firmware updates.

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I found a samsung 830 128gb for $100 but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Is it worth it to get a ssd? I know this might not be the right section for this question but I could sell my hd 7870 for like $180-$200 and get a hd 7950. That might seem a little weird but I'm on a tight budget and my rig is almost solely for gaming. I just can't decide a little faster load time or better gaming performance :pt1cable:

***EDIT***
NVM I got the samsung 830 to much of a pain to sell the 7870 and I'm going to wait for the 8xxx to come out to upgrade my gpu.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
In defense of OCZ, they seem to have crappy validation, but the same SSDs do get better over time from firmware updates. Vertex Plus R2 is one of their older lines and is now pretty reliable. Similarly Vertex 3 and Agility 3 had issues when they came out but is now stable. If you see a cheap Vertex 3 I wouldn't expect there to be any problems now. Btw Tigerdirect has the Vertex 3 120GB for $60 after rebate today.

I bought an Agility 3 and had no issues. My friends have had no problems with their OCZ drives either, and none of their drives were bought within like half a year of the drive's introduction.