Crucial M4 stability problems now history?

seligman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
The reviews for the Crucial M4 drives at Newegg.com are generally very good, but the bad reviews have a common theme, i.e. worked great for a few months, then died / BSOD / random lockups, etc.

Are these symptoms of the OLD firmware that wreaked havoc at 5184 hours of use, or does the M4 series have other stability problems I don't know about?

seligman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Reason I ask is I want to install a Crucial M4 at a remote PC being used as a server.

Nobody will be available to manually reboot the PC in the event it freezes up, especially during the winter when the roads are blocked by snow.

Hmmmm.....I am growing old disgracefully and I sometimes forget things but I seem to recall that early on there were some issues. Crucial issued a firmware update which fixed the issues and actually improved performance. They've been fine since then.

When I make suggestions for several brands I usually recommend Samsung first and Crucial second.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this ssd section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.