What to upgrade and should I overclock?

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I have been lurking on this site for a while, however this is my frst post. Just an FYI: I have very limited knowledge on the technical aspects of pc components, which is why I turn to you all for advice. I mostly video games and watch tons of movies (HD). The reason I feel I need to upgrade is not smooth video of high bitrate videos and limited game glitching.

It has been almost 2 years since my last upgrade and would like to update my system. I want to upgrade to windows 7 x64 and feel I really need a new graphics card, but not sure. Do I need more memory? Please let me know.

Current build:
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
AMD Phenom II x4 940
G. Skill PI Black 4GB (DDR2)
EVGA GeForce 8800 gS (384mb)

Also, I have never looked into overclocking and know nothing about it. I stated reading the overclocking sticky and was quickly lost. Are my current components even worth overclocking? I seem to remember reading that my CPU can be overclocked to 3.2 without adjusting any voltage settings.

Please critique. Thanks.

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Thanks for the response. Kinda what I was thinkging but nice to hear it from someone else. Memory is dual channel. When is the 6000 series going to be released and what is the anticipated cost?

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I think I will get the 5770, but a noob question...What is the difference between each manufacturer? Why does the MSI cost $180 and the XFX only $155 (@newegg). Are the specs different or is it name?