Indecision1991

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I was wondering whether to upgrade my system or just build a new one. The current specs for my current system are as follow:

Cpu- Amd Phenom II 955 BE X4
Ram-4GB gskill ddr3
Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
GPU-Sapphire 4850(2 Of them in crossfire)
PSU-OCZ modxstream 700 watt
Optical Drive-Samsung Blu-ray player and lite on dvd burner
Hdd-500GB samsung F3, Seagate 1TB Baracuda
Case-Haf932

The system I was wondering about building for myself will have all the latest components so for example a 6 core cpu, motherboard that supports usb3.0 and sata3, and a 5870.

Kinda a AMD and ATI fanboy so I am gonna stick with them. Primary use is going to be gaming and video editing. I am kinda in a dilemma on whether to build the system for myself for christmas or just wait another year with my current build and see what is good then.

Why are you feeling the need to upgrade your system? What isnt it doing for you?

I have a very similar system with only a single 4850 and havent found a need to upgrade it quite yet, im probably going to swap the 4850 for one of the 6xxx cards when they arrive.

Indecision1991

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Well I am starting to do alot of montage making and It takes about 10 minutes to render a 2 minute long video. Either that or I was planning on just getting more ram since I constantly get messages on Sony Vegas Pro saying I ran out of memory. Or I plan on waiting for the 6xxx series when they come out. Just asking for opinions. If yall say to just buy an addon card and wait for 6xxx series cards I will do so. My games are dropping in FPS everytime something new comes out. I mean BFBC2 is only getting me 80FPS when nothing is going on around me but the moment a single rocket goes past me I drop down to 30FPS and for me I notice it.

Indecision1991

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Yea I was also thinking of going intel. I work at Microcenter so I can get a decent build for a good price. Gonna keep everything but motherboard and cpu. I like gigabyte and I will just go with the GA-X58A-UD5 and an I7 930 plus some more ram.