MY SAMSUNG ULTRABOOK CRASHED

erictancy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hello,
My Samsung Ultrabook crashed - Series 5 13.3" with 500GB hard disk. Its just about 6 months old. Running on Win7
I took out the harddisk and put it in a SATA drive - its not showing up at all - the external hard disk and volume.
Also tried to recover using the Recovery CD disk - and it cannot find the drivers in the disk.
I have some data that I need to recover from the hard disk. Its under warranty and can be fixed. but I need to recover my data on it before I send it in.
Any suggestions and help please?
Thank you
Eric

With respect, your post doesn't make much sense.

What do you mean by "I took out the harddisk and put it in a SATA drive"?

What do you mean by "it cannot find the drivers in the disk"?

Do you mean that you installed the drive in an external enclosure, and that subsequently the USB mass storage device was not recognised by your Ultrabook?

erictancy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

What I meant was when I remove the Samsung harddisk and put it in a SATA disk enclosure, the disk volume was not recognised by the Samsung Ultrabook or another computer (The SATA disk enclosure does work with other SATA disks - so its not the SATA disk enclosure that is not working)

As for the second question "it cannot find the drivers in the disk?" - I was trying to do the Samsung Recovery using the CD supplied to re-install the Win7 but it keep asking for the location of the drivers (which has a copy of Win 7 - 64 bit version) and cannot get beyond that.

Yes the USB mass storage was not recognised at all by the Ultrabook or another computer.

I have been booting up with UBCD boot disk and here are a couple of things I have found
1. When I do the UBCD 5.1 - HDD - Device Info and Management DiskInfo - Boot - it is showing an end LBA of 312581807 (my volume is 500GB and partitioned)
2. When I do the HDD Diagnosis - Vivard - it is showing a hdd of 152GB with end lba 312581807
3. However when I go to Parted Magic - the Samsung Hard Disk does not show up as a disk volume at all.
This ultrabook has an SSD of 16GB which also shows up in 2 and 3 above

There still may be hope after all! Can anyone advise what else I can do with UBCD to recover the data in the harddrive?

Thank you all for your suggestions

erictancy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Oops - that may be the 160GB SATA drive on my USB that it is showing. I took it out and it obviously was still showing it.

My diskinfo is showing 15272 with max LBA 31277231 - although the vivard is not showing any volume apart from the 16GB SSD.

So its not showing the hard disk volume!

The model no of my drive is HTS545050A7E380

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Find a friend with a desktop PC and hook it up to his computer internally - with a standard SATA cable connected to your friend's motherboard and power being drawn from the power supply. It doesn't have to be 3.5" to be put in a desktop, you can just rest it in the case for this test.

You CAN do this while the computer is powered on provided that the SATA port on the motherboard is active in the BIOS, as SATA drives are hot-swappable but you may have to refresh your Device Manager in order for it to show up. If this makes you uncomfortable, do it while the PC is powered off. If your friend's computer doesn't see it, and you've tried everything you can to make it see the drive, then your chances of recovering your data are slim to none.

erictancy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Yes I think it does. There's a vibration on it.

The PCB looks neither of the 2 models you indicated. There is no fusebox. Please see
vej7jf8sz

erictancy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Thanks. I gotta find a friend with a desktop