Laptops taking over desktops?

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I am not sure which sub-category to put this in so I just chose homebuilt.

Anyway I was just watching a video and it is a little bit older, back in 2008 I think, anyway it was talking about how more laptops were sold that year then pc's and that within the next 5 years laptops would be taking over desktop computers. What are your thoughts on this? Personally I love having a desktop pc, I have a laptop and don't use it that often, I think it would be horrible to not be able to have a desktop pc.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/computer/computers-videos-playlist.htm#video-2480

that is the link, everything else in it might be irrelevant I was just talking about one of the things they were talking about in that video.

Will desktop computers continue to be made in 5 years? I sure do like to build computers and do mods, etc. I am hoping that I will be able to keep doing so with the latest hardware.

What are your thoughts?

Laptops are good for your average user, netbooks fit most peoples needs just fine, but desktops will always continue to be made simply because if have a heavy work load, like an animation project that needs rendering, or a fluid dynamic simulation, you simply cant pack enough power into a laptop to get it done as fast as you can into a desktop for far less.

What i have noticed is that since i have a solid desktop to do my heavy workload i dont use my laptop for extremely intensive stuff anymore, the most i ever use it for is some photoshop and illustrator work once in a while, but most of what my laptop gets used for could easily be done by a netbook so thats what im expected to end up with in 5 years, a small laptop for internet stuff when im not home, and a strong desktop at home to take care of anything that needs more power.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It's crazy though that they have mobile i7's now, they are a bit slower but in a few years won't laptops begin to catch up even more? More and more people are buying laptops / mobile devices, the market will be aiming more towards that which is what makes me curious.

Also what about future pc gaming? I really love my what you might call a hobby with computers and I hope I can keep on doing things the way I like them to be done like modding, building a system and having that excitement you can't get with anything else other then cars or whatever...

Also I just noticed there was another thread related to this subject but I am going to keep this open if that's ok.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I know that having a larger display and keyboard and mouse will stay with us for a long time but you could use any mobile computer and hook up anything externally that you need.

i prefer desktop to laptops mainly from price

i have a PII X4 desktop with 8GB ram (2 x 4870's for gaming) and it has been a running total of maybe $1200 (with 50GB SSD) but my laptop is the Core i7-920QM with 8GB of ram (15.6" 1080P LED backlit) and that set me back $1400 a few months ago

though the desktop is moving to the Phenom II x6 soon (with 890FX board)

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So your desktop was 200$ cheaper then your laptop? That's still a pretty powerful laptop lol

Yea the Thuban is becoming mainstream now. I was going to build a 6 core amd system but I decided to switch to the dark side and go with my i7 930. I checked out some benchmarks for the Thuban and it looks like it's doing great for a lot of multi-threaded applications.

yeah, and that's a running total through the year or so of having it (almost 1.5, in October), as i added a second 4870 6 months ago and the SSD 3 months ago. Yes the laptop is powerful, but i didn't want anything to lag whether in a VM or normal usage, and i have always spent a bit more on my laptops than my desktops just to have some mobile power