Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Want to confirm my HDD is dead

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 1:58:06 AM

I bought a WD Blue (wd2500aakx) off of ebay, to replace my current HDD. Turns out it is not recognized by the Bios. I have tried switching between Sata2 and Sata3 ports on my Mobo (p6x58d). I also tried my thermaltake dock, both by sata and usb. I also docked it to my friends macbook. I've reset and updated the Bios. It is not recognized by anything nor by any means so far. Any suggestions before I quit?

More about : confirm hdd dead

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 2:36:05 AM

If your BIOS settings are correct (they should have been with your previous HDD), then it should work. So, it won't even spin up? Sounds like a bad drive to me.
a c 80 G Storage
October 19, 2012 2:58:03 AM

^+1. If it doesn't spin up, it's dead. Was there a DOA warranty from the seller?
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2012 2:58:23 AM

maestro0428 said:
If your BIOS settings are correct (they should have been with your previous HDD), then it should work. So, it won't even spin up? Sounds like a bad drive to me.

Yeah, the BIOS settings should be fine. I just swapped it back to my old drive. I couldn't tell if the new drive is not spinning up or it is just real quiet. It is definitely more quiet than my case fans. A drive should not be that quiet right? I just need someone to tell me to give up. Otherwise I'd be troubleshooting forever.
m
l
October 19, 2012 3:04:48 AM

ss202sl said:
^+1. If it doesn't spin up, it's dead. Was there a DOA warranty from the seller?

Not that I know of, ebay impulse buy. My mistake.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 4:28:22 AM

If it not detected in BIOS, not much it can be done it likely dead as u're suspected...

If u can, Try contact the seller to resolve this, be polite and see how he responds....
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
October 19, 2012 10:39:24 AM

Does it have a PM2 jumper? If so, then it is configured to Power Up In Standby (PUIS). Alternatively, PUIS could be enabled in the firmware, in which case you could use a utility such as HDAT2 to disable it.

To wake up the drive, you would need to launch HDAT2 with the /w switch, ie ...

hdat2 /w
m
l
October 26, 2012 4:39:52 AM

Best answer selected by quadglacier.
m
l
!