Questions on throughput with SSD Drives in Raid 0, and 5

dcssr

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I have a server that I am upgrading and so I have some questions. It is a server using the Intel Intel S5520HCR motherboard, has 12 Gigabyte of ram.

It is equipped with the SROMBSASMR Raid add-in card, and I am installing 4 OCZ Agility 3 120 Gig SATA 3 drives in it. I am looking to maximize on throughput and also want some fault tolerence. I know that creating all of them in a Raid 0 gives me no fault tolerance, and Raid 01 gives me both but reduces storage storage capacity, and that Raid 5 gives me some fault tolerance but reduced performance.

My question is this, the throughput for these drives is around 525 MB/sec read and write, and my controller is SATA 2, so I assume that my throughput will actually be topped out at 300 MB / sec even though the drives are sata 3 which supports up to 600 MB /sec. Am I benefiting at all in putting these drives in any kind of a striping array considering that one drive alone is about twice the throughput of the sata 2 controller. If not, then I am looking at putting them in a Raid 5 since the reduced through put of the drives would still top out at 300.

Thanks!

tomatthe

Distinguished
You pretty much spelled all of this out. You will get no performance benefit from putting those drives in any raid set on sata 2 ports. You knew what you were saying with those speeds and how the drives would perform. Generally people don't use ssds in raid sets on a consumer setup.