Lightweight laptop in Dell product line

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 22, 2004 9:30:18 AM

My wife (non-geek) wants a fairly light laptop to use on the commuter
rail, mostly to read offline website captured overnight. I suspect she
may want to watch an occasional DVD movie, but it is not a big req.

As this laptop will not need a lot of computing power, but be light
and easy on battery life, what should I look at in the Dell product
line?

I thought about the 600m, but not sure about the weight.

it would be tempting to go with a IBM X-something, but then again it
would a bit of a waste, no?

This will be a holiday gift. Purchase timing for best price...?

Cheers.

- 93 vfr, white
November 22, 2004 1:23:23 PM

How about the 700m? Centrino chipset, 12.1" widescreen display. Just make
sure to get the 8 cell battery. Also weighs only 4lbs.
"jl_vfr" <jl_honda_vfr@mail.com> wrote in message
> My wife (non-geek) wants a fairly light laptop to use on the commuter
> rail, mostly to read offline website captured overnight. I suspect she
> may want to watch an occasional DVD movie, but it is not a big req.
>
> As this laptop will not need a lot of computing power, but be light
> and easy on battery life, what should I look at in the Dell product
> line?
>
> I thought about the 600m, but not sure about the weight.
>
> it would be tempting to go with a IBM X-something, but then again it
> would a bit of a waste, no?
>

> This will be a holiday gift. Purchase timing for best price...?
>
> Cheers.
>
> - 93 vfr, white
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 4:06:58 PM

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> responded:

> How about the 700m? Centrino chipset, 12.1" widescreen display. Just make
> sure to get the 8 cell battery. Also weighs only 4lbs.

Nice.

Any other suggestions, in IBM or fujustsu lines..?

- jl_vfr
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 2:32:07 AM

>> I wrote originally:
>
>> > My wife (non-geek) wants a fairly light laptop to use on the commuter
>> > rail, mostly to read offline website captured overnight.
>> > this laptop will not need a lot of computing power, but be light
>> > and easy on battery life, what should I look at in the Dell product
>> > line?
>> > I thought about the 600m, but not sure about the weight.
>
> "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> responded:
>
>> How about the 700m? Centrino chipset, 12.1" widescreen display. Just make
>> sure to get the 8 cell battery. Also weighs only 4lbs.
>
> Nice.
>
> Any other suggestions, in IBM or fujustsu lines..?
>
> - jl_vfr

The smallest Dell Latitude (D400?) is even smaller and lighter, but no
built-in CD/DVD.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 4:03:11 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:06:58 -0500, jl_vfr wrote
(in article <ecf07300.0411241306.5f55cba1@posting.google.com>):

> Nice.
>
> Any other suggestions, in IBM or fujustsu lines..?
>
> - jl_vfr

My ONLY complaint about that laptop (700) is the video card.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2004 12:47:46 AM

jl_vfr wrote:
> My wife (non-geek) wants a fairly light laptop to use on the commuter
> rail, mostly to read offline website captured overnight. I suspect she
> may want to watch an occasional DVD movie, but it is not a big req.
>
> As this laptop will not need a lot of computing power, but be light
> and easy on battery life, what should I look at in the Dell product
> line?
>
> I thought about the 600m, but not sure about the weight.
>
> it would be tempting to go with a IBM X-something, but then again it
> would a bit of a waste, no?
>

> This will be a holiday gift. Purchase timing for best price...?
>
> Cheers.
>
> - 93 vfr, white

I'm a big IBM fan. They really stand behind their products and their
products are amazing. Head over to http://forum.thinkpads.com to
discuss the X-series. They also have people there with the Dell's, so
you can compare and contrast.

There is a much lighter Latitude, I forget the number, I believe it is
the X300.

I've been very unhappy with the quality of the Dell builds and their
tech support.
--Adam
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2004 7:16:28 AM

"Adam Steiner" <ajsteineAT@nospamYU.edu> wrote in message
> jl_vfr wrote:
>> My wife (non-geek) wants a fairly light laptop to use on the commuter
>> rail, mostly to read offline website captured overnight. I suspect she
>> may want to watch an occasional DVD movie, but it is not a big req.
>>
>> As this laptop will not need a lot of computing power, but be light
>> and easy on battery life, what should I look at in the Dell product
>> line?
>>
>> I thought about the 600m, but not sure about the weight.
>>
>> it would be tempting to go with a IBM X-something, but then again it
>> would a bit of a waste, no?

I have 2 Dell 600m laptops (one for my wife). They are fine. I travel a
lot, and would love the IBM X30, but by the time you carry an external
CD/DVD unit with it, it weighs more than the 600m. The battery on the 600m
is good enough to get about 3 hours continuous use or 8 hours with careful
use of standby when you're not actually working. If that is enough for the
commute, and she doesn't need to carry the power supply, the weight will be
fine. Or buy a 2nd power supply and keep one at work--charge it during the
day. If all you are carrying is the laptop itself, the weight will be fine.
It gets heavy if you start carrying a power supply, mouse, CD's, etc. etc.
!