Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.6Hz
EVGA680i SLI
PNY GTX275
4GB OCZ reaper ram
Raid 0 WDcaviar black 1GB (500GB X2)
Viewsonic22 inc 120Hz 3d ready monitor 1680x1050@120Hz

I'm looking to upgrade my computer components and was thinking for an upgrade starting with the CPU , I'm
looking to play most new games with high settings @120Hz
refresh rate is my CPU the bottleneck? or is there any room for improvement with other components?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The CPU has nothing to do with your GPU using a 120Mhz monitor. Your system is fine, as is, for most modern games, in spite of how much advice you will get to buy new stuff.

Of course, there is always room for improvement. How much money do you want to spend?

So basically you want your games to run at 120 fps to make full use of that 120Hz monitor. Well, not hitting that 120fps really depends on the game. The point of that monitor in the first place though is to basically render at 60Hz for each eye, essentialy doing each scene twice at slightly different angles.

Anyway, overclocking your CPU would certainly help alleviate any bottleneck. Since the Q6600 is generally a good overclocker you don't really need to swap it out with a newer Q9000 series CPU. That money would be better spent on a good CPU tower cooler and a second GTX 275 to run in SLI. Of course, your board may someone limit your overclock since the 680i chipset can be a bit difficult there.

I pretty much agree with them ^^

Get a CPU cooler and try OCing it a bit if you want. 3.2-3.4ghz is a nice area to be in.

For 120fps, well it depends on the games we're talking here, but your GTX 275 is going to be the limiting factor. It isn't a bad card, but a pair of GTX 470s will be needed for that much FPS in modern games.

sirsycott

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
i've been having a problem overclocking my q6600 past 2.7 , and i've read numerous tutorials, but it seems the 680i sli boards dont' like quad cores much, especially with 4x1GB modules

i've also forgot to include that my power supply is

antec trupower trio 650w

will i have to get a bigger power supply for 2x gtx 470's?
i've had 2x7900 gs before in SLI , but never anything that beefy

very well ventilated antec 900 case
with a zalman cooler on my cpu

as far as how much i'm willing to spend, i wouldn't want to tear apart my whole case to jump to core i7 and be stuck buying a new mobo or ram

i'm trying to stay within a reasonable budget 300-400$ without tearing everything apart

If you're dissatisfied with the performance of your GTX 275, no amount of CPU overclocking is going to help. NO Intel Core2Quad or AMD Phenom II X4 CPU is a bottleneck for even the HD 5970 powerhouse. There is either something wrong with your GTX 275 or you have unrealistic expectations of it.

Well, a pair of 5850s is only slightly worse than the 470s but far less power hungry. That said, I think a 650W PSU could manage them.

Not sure about the OC issue, maybe you can make a thread on it and see what sort of help you can get.

Actually, from Tomshardware's building a balanced CPU chart, you see a significant improvement going from a stock 45nm Core2quad to a stock i7 with an ATI 5970. The improvement will be even bigger with a Q6x00 series due to their lower clock speeds at stock.

And in CPU-intensive games such as GTA4 and StarCraft2 or games that only use 2 cores, the Q6600 at stock will be an even bigger bottleneck due to its low clock speeds and architecture. Same goes for budget AMD quads like the AthlonII x4s.