"Windows detected a hard disk problem"

ImCharming

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hi, so maybe a month or two ago I started getting this message...

drive-errors.png

I'm running W7 on a Samsung 830 128gb. I have 4 backup hard drives, 3 1 TB's and a 500GB. So when I first started getting it I pretty much ignored it. I restarted and it was fine, then it popped up, then I clicked x, then it would show the HDD in my computer, then the message would pop up again, then I'd x, then it would come back a little later. I figured I should back up that HDD, it's a few years old so I figured it was just going bad.

I bought a new TB, transferred everything over and it was all good for a while. I reformatted my SSD, again.. everything good for a while. yesterday I started getting the message again, with another TB, so I check my computer, one HDD that I got the message for has disappeared as well as another one. I restart and the one TB I got the message for is there but the other one is still missing.. Just wondering what's going on, I have a theory I'll explain below.

So since yesterday when I have restarted, or turned my computer on it gets stuck as the starting windows screen so I have to restart and cross my fingers it works. If it doesn't I restart again... no success, I unplug my PSU, try it again, works... little later in the day I restarted again, had to go through it all and I couldn't get past that screen. I unplugged all hdd's except for the ssd and was able to get in. The backups aren't heavily used, mostly for music storage and movies

My theory, maybe my PSU isn't powerful enough and has been struggling to power it all, maybe I need to get one with more watts?

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz to 3.9Ghz

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB x2 OC'd

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153136&name=Power-
Supplies&RandomID=60815712311727920121018214619

CPU + GPU + GPU water cooled.

Samsung 830
WD black 1TB
WD green 1TB
Seagate baracuda 1TB
WD black 500gb

Thank you so much for your help

rdc85

Honorable
Had u check the SMART data of those drives....

Are there a warning that indicate bad disk............

U can also using disk checking utility from Seagate and Western digital to check for bad disk, if the disk fail to pass the test from those apps. backup and RMA is advised

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Those are good ideas. Also check in the BIOS to make sure all are being recognized by the BIOS properly.
Since you are having a problem just after the Windows Starting screen and before the Logon screen, just after the splash screen, click on F8, choose repair my computer, then StartUp repair. Possibly there is a corrupted system file that can be ID's and repaired automatically