I just built a system (first one) and I have a problem:

mobo- asus sabertooth p67
cpu- intel i5-2500k 3.3
memory- Corsair Vengeance 2x4 gb
psu- coolermaster silent pro 850w
vid card- gtx 560 ti evga superclocked 1024gb
cpu cooler- Cooler master 212
hardrive- Corsair SSD 128

When I finished the final touches it booted up and I installed my os and updated drivers. Everything worked well for about 6 hours and I turned it off. The next day I decided to try out the ez overclock in the uefi. It booted up fine and I went on my way and decided to download a game (legally). I switch my monitor to a tv watching and watch a movie. No more than 2 hours and I try and check the progress. I switch to it and a Blank screen with nothing registering on my monitor. I try some basic functionality tests and decide to just shut the computer off. The on/off switch doesn't work as well as the reset button when I try. I go to the power source and turn it off from there. I turn it on, no beeps and nothing registering on the monitor, no uefi/bios no nothing. I have to shut off the computer through the psu again and open up my case. I fire it up again and I get message lights from the mobo, I have solid lights from memory (dram_led) and cpu (cpu_led). I gave a very basic inspection of it, temperature wasn't noticeably hot, no loose connections, and no overt damage to the system. It was late so I decided to go to bed and sleep on it, i.e. have nightmares about my system. Now I am stuck at work and having nighmares during the day about it (daymares??). I guess my first option for remedial actions should be to try the memory out in single and then work on the CPU but I am looking for suggestions due to me being new at this. I think I should try resetting cmos maybe for the cpu. Am I going about this the right way or am I missing something obvious? Please help.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problem asus sabertooth
  1. TotallyNinja said:
    I just built a system (first one) and I have a problem:

mobo- asus sabertooth p67
    cpu- intel i5-2500k 3.3
    memory- Corsair Vengeance 2x4 gb
    psu- coolermaster silent pro 850w
    vid card- gtx 560 ti evga superclocked 1024gb
    cpu cooler- Cooler master 212
    hardrive- Corsair SSD 128

When I finished the final touches it booted up and I installed my os and updated drivers. Everything worked well for about 6 hours and I turned it off. The next day I decided to try out the ez overclock in the uefi. It booted up fine and I went on my way and decided to download a game (legally). I switch my monitor to a tv watching and watch a movie. No more than 2 hours and I try and check the progress. I switch to it and a Blank screen with nothing registering on my monitor. I try some basic functionality tests and decide to just shut the computer off. The on/off switch doesn't work as well as the reset button when I try. I go to the power source and turn it off from there. I turn it on, no beeps and nothing registering on the monitor, no uefi/bios no nothing. I have to shut off the computer through the psu again and open up my case. I fire it up again and I get message lights from the mobo, I have solid lights from memory (dram_led) and cpu (cpu_led). I gave a very basic inspection of it, temperature wasn't noticeably hot, no loose connections, and no overt damage to the system. It was late so I decided to go to bed and sleep on it, i.e. have nightmares about my system. Now I am stuck at work and having nighmares during the day about it (daymares??). I guess my first option for remedial actions should be to try the memory out in single and then work on the CPU but I am looking for suggestions due to me being new at this. I think I should try resetting cmos maybe for the cpu. Am I going about this the right way or am I missing something obvious? Please help.

I want to build a similar system, intel i5 with Asus Sabertooth and Cosair Vengeance 2x4gb rams and i have questions about the compatibility of the Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb rams with the Asus Sabertooth.
    In the Asus website the Corsair Vengeance is not listed in the QVL list.

To me looks like a memory problem, but also looking for answers.
  2. Best answer
    Quote:
    The next day I decided to try out the ez overclock in the uefi.

Just one quick note on this before we move to part two -- I have worked with Asus's automatic-overclock feature (in the P8P67) and have learned to avoid it. The EZ-overclock algorithm is way too conservative in setting a voltage to get stable -- as in, it makes it way too high; unnecessarily high. This won't immediately damage the processor, but it will push temperatures higher than they need to be, waste energy, and degrade the chip's circuits.

When you're overclocking, you always want to be in control of the amount of voltage the motherboard is pumping into that chip. For Sandy Bridge, Intel prescribed a maximum core voltage of 1.52 volts; most of the folks on overclock.net and elsewhere have advised going no higher than 1.35 on the 2500k to avoid shortening the life of the processor. When I allowed the motherboard to set the voltage for a simple 4GHz overclock, it picked something like 1.35v for the vcore -- the 2500k only needs like...1.2-1.22 volts for 4GHz. So beware of allowing the motherboard to pick the voltage.

In fact, at the stock clock speed of 3.3GHz, I have down-volted the processor to 1.085v or so to lower temperatures and preserve the life of the processor.

Quote:
    I switch my monitor to a tv watching and watch a movie. No more than 2 hours and I try and check the progress. I switch to it and a Blank screen with nothing registering on my monitor. I try some basic functionality tests and decide to just shut the computer off. The on/off switch doesn't work as well as the reset button when I try. I go to the power source and turn it off from there. I turn it on, no beeps and nothing registering on the monitor, no uefi/bios no nothing. I have to shut off the computer through the psu again and open up my case. I fire it up again and I get message lights from the mobo, I have solid lights from memory (dram_led) and cpu (cpu_led). I gave a very basic inspection of it, temperature wasn't noticeably hot, no loose connections, and no overt damage to the system.

Start by clearing the CMOS -- there should be a jumper specified in your motherboard manual; make sure to unplug the PSU from the wall before you do it -- and see if that helps you at least POST. I'm getting it will.

To put your mind at ease -- it seems very unlikely that you damaged your processor and motherboard irreparably over the course of only a few hours. Intel has built safety-valves into its processors and ASRock has built safety-valves into it's boards.

You really have to want to screw this equipment up to ruin it.

Report back on what you find, please.
  3. Quote:
    I want to build a similar system, intel i5 with Asus Sabertooth and Cosair Vengeance 2x4gb rams and i have questions about the compatibility of the Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb rams with the Asus Sabertooth.
    In the Asus website the Corsair Vengeance is not listed in the QVL list.

To me looks like a memory problem, but also looking for answers.

emjay -- recommend you start a new thread and delete this post. At Tom's everyone likes to keep topics separate to avoid going off on tangents before answering the original posters' questions. Best of luck. :sol:
  4. fullofzen said:
    emjay -- recommend you start a new thread and delete this post. At Tom's everyone likes to keep topics separate to avoid going off on tangents before answering the original posters' questions. Best of luck. :sol:

Thanks for the advice

I have already opened a separate thread before.
  5. Best answer selected by TotallyNinja.
  6. Thanks all, I tried testing the memory first each stick at a time but that still didn't solve my problem, clearing the CMOS however worked like a charm. I appreciate everyone's reply.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Sabertooth Motherboards