GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Fan issue....

VSTJuNkiE

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hello peeps,

I have a GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 MOBO. My cpu cooler is a dual fan Hyper 212+. I noticed that when the MOBO boots up, the CPU fans turn on for about 2-4 seconds then off for about 8-10 seconds then back on for good. Is this normal? My other build has an ASUS board and the CPU fans turn on @ boot and STAY on.... Seeing how a CPU can fry in seconds I'm a little concerned here. I have smart fan enabled. Is there any BIOS setting I need to change?

I don't think this could be PSU related, but just in case I'm WRONG, my PSU is a Enermax Modu 87+ 750w.

I've received GREAT help here before, so I hope the trend continues. Thanks for your time.... :D

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Initially when apply power to the MB, the fans run at full speed, then with smartfan enabled, slow down and are controlled, depending on where you have the fan power leads plugged in, by the temperature of the CPU or system. The CPU is temperature controlled by PWM, only SysFan_2 is controlled by the 12v power power lead. The Sys_1 Sys_3 and Pwr_Fan headers should run at full speed. The BIOS senses their speed but doesn't change their speed. You can check their speed in the BIOS.

If this is a new system, I would not install, or uninstall the EasyTune or Smart6 applets, which can control separately the fan speeds, until you are comfortable with the MB fan speed control.

I can't imagine the CPU fan stopping, but you can observe it spinning with the case open as you boot up.
Also, go to the BIOS, on the PC Health page, and set the CPU warning temp to Enable, the CPU fan Fail Warning to Enable, and leave the Smart Fan Control to Enabled, and Smart Fan Mode to Auto.

That way, at lease initially you will get a warning if the CPU fan stops or the CPU gets too hot.

It's probably just you are not used to how the fans initially start up, but this way you will have 2 warning indicators if there is a problem.

Hope that helps

VSTJuNkiE

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I didn't install EasyTune or Smart6 because after researching via Google they weren't recommended. And yes I did physically see the CPU fans stop. They stop for about 8 seconds. This is my first Gigabyte board (as well as the ASUS in my other build) so I wasn't sure if this was "normal" for that MOBO. Like I said my ASUS board doesn't do that....

Thanks again!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Take a look at Bilbat's Gigabyte's guide at the top of the Motherboard section. About half way through he talks about boot loops and double boots. See it that might fit the picture you are describing.

The only way a fan would completely stop and restart is if the system shut down and restarted.

Bilbat's Gigabyte Guide
•Troubleshooting:

'Boot Loops'

John

VSTJuNkiE

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

I'll check it out! Thanks again....

VSTJuNkiE

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The guide doesn't say whether you get 2 POST beeps for the double boot. I only hear one. I have had the MOBO do the boot loop thing before when I was first OCing it, but I had (unwittingly) set one of the voltage settings all the way negative (instead of 0) and it didn't have enough power to boot.lol.

I enabled both cpu warning temp (@ 60c) and cpu fan fail warning. I got a long beep after the initial POST beep, it was the cpu fan fail warning. So the fans do stop to the point that the MOBO *thinks* the fans failed.

The fact that it doesn't beep when I enable the temp warning feature, makes me wonder if the CPU doesn't power up/turn on right away 'cause the fans go off for a solid 10-14 seconds..?

Any other ideas, anybody? I know I'm not the *only* on who bought this Gigabyte board. Does anyone else have this issue on their board?

Thanks for all the help so far...

VSTJuNkiE

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Okay. Got in contact with Gigabyte tech support and they suggested hooking up the Intel stock cooling fan to see if that does the same thing. The stock Intel PWM fan does NOT stop during post like the Cooler Master PWM fans?!

Any ideas as to why the difference? Not sure why the 120mm Cooler Master fan would stop while the Intel stock fan doesn't? Could it be voltage related? The Cooler Master fan is 12v .36A while the Intel is 12v .60A. Could that be the difference?

On the ASUS board I have 2 92mm Cooler Master PWM fans but they don't have this issue....?

Thanks.

Manually adjust the CPU fan settings in the BIOS; adjust the "low" point higher. What is happening is the fan turns on, then the BIOS finishes waking up and tells the fan that the CPU is below the threshold temperature for the fan to ramp up; so it cuts down to whatever the "low" point is. Apparently it isn't high enough to start the fan or keep it going. Of course, the CPU rapidly warms up, so the fan comes on in your 8-10 seconds.
Some [PWM] fans are more sensitive than others, which would explain why the Intel fan doesn't have the problem.
If this explanation is not sufficient, it is possible that the Coolermaster fan is simply defective, in which case you should be able to replace it with a different PWM fan. I know Arctic Cooling makes one, and I'm sure there are others.

VSTJuNkiE

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Thanks for the response. I don't remember seeing a way to adjust fan speed points in the BIOS. Do you know where in the BIOS the option is?

I have 2 fans on my Hyper 212+ and they both stop at the same time during boot up so I don't think their defective....

Thanks again :)

VSTJuNkiE

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Okay. Cool. Thanks for the help! :bounce: