Sign in with
Your question

1 yr. old Computer Suddenly Won't Boot, No Beep Code

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2010 8:39:15 AM

Hello! I've run into a bit of a snag. My 1 year old computer suddenly would not turn on. I had made no major changes to it previously, and shut it down successfully prior to this event.

The fans on the cpu, gpu, and case spin, and the motherbaord lights up as well. I disconnected the other components (wireless card, sound card, hard drive, optical drive) and left only the video card, the cpu+cooler, and 1 stick of ram in. The computer continued to show a black screen. I swapped the RAM, but still no beep. Eventually I removed all the ram and there was still no beep code! I checked for any (visible) physical damage to the mobo but found nothing.

I did however, notice that there was a strange clicking noise possibly coming from the psu as well as a weird smell. I was wondering if there were any other steps I should take (since I don't have a spare PSU or multimeter) and what (at this stage) might be the culprit.

Thank you for your time!

The specs are:

i7 920 + Dark Knight Cooler
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
Corsair 750TX
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
XFX Radeon 4890 1 GB
August 1, 2010 8:53:50 AM

ks89 said:
Hello! I've run into a bit of a snag. My 1 year old computer suddenly would not turn on. I had made no major changes to it previously, and shut it down successfully prior to this event.

The fans on the cpu, gpu, and case spin, and the motherbaord lights up as well. I disconnected the other components (wireless card, sound card, hard drive, optical drive) and left only the video card, the cpu+cooler, and 1 stick of ram in. The computer continued to show a black screen. I swapped the RAM, but still no beep. Eventually I removed all the ram and there was still no beep code! I checked for any (visible) physical damage to the mobo but found nothing.

I did however, notice that there was a strange clicking noise possibly coming from the psu as well as a weird smell. I was wondering if there were any other steps I should take (since I don't have a spare PSU or multimeter) and what (at this stage) might be the culprit.

Thank you for your time!

The specs are:

i7 920 + Dark Knight Cooler
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
Corsair 750TX
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
XFX Radeon 4890 1 GB

You answered your own question. Burning smell from the power supply=most likely issue with the power supply. Take the power supply out and confirm the smell. If you live near a MicroCenter http://www.microcenter.com , they should be able to test it with a multimeter for free as long as you bring just the power supply.
August 1, 2010 9:08:13 AM

Oh wow! Thank you so much! I had no idea they did that at microcenter. I am crossing my fingers.
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2010 8:31:26 PM

If that's not the problem, come on back. We have more ideas.
August 1, 2010 9:31:12 PM

before i would do that i'd test the pc without my video card.. mybe even try reseting the cmos with out the gpu then see if it boots.. i had to do this when my 4890 fried.. the 4890's lights still came on and the fans still worked.. but no display to the monitor would lead me to believe that its the video card.. if it were the power supply the pc would turn on then off.. or just not turn on at all.. im gonna say its your video card..
August 2, 2010 12:55:06 AM

@jsc Thanks :D  I ended up taking it to the local computer guy to see if he could test the psu for me. I'll find out the good or bad news tomorrow.

@Jesman1985 Ah! I cleared the cmos, but I didn't think to take the video card out! Thank you, you've given me hope (I'm more terrified at the thought of the gigabyte RMA process than anything else). Would it be unusual for video card to fry.. randomly like that? I've yet to overclock, and I don't think I ever ran it with something super graphic instensive.
August 2, 2010 1:00:55 AM

ks89 said:
@jsc Thanks :D  I ended up taking it to the local computer guy to see if he could test the psu for me. I'll find out the good or bad news tomorrow.

@Jesman1985 Ah! I cleared the cmos, but I didn't think to take the video card out! Thank you, you've given me hope (I'm more terrified at the thought of the gigabyte RMA process than anything else). Would it be unusual for video card to fry.. randomly like that? I've yet to overclock, and I don't think I ever ran it with something super graphic instensive.

i knew it!!!! same thing happened to me with my 4890 (same card) those things hit 85-100 degrees c like nothing when under full load... so now is your monitor turning on when you plug the display into the back of the motherboard with the video card out? it might take another cmos reset but it should.. if it does your video cards fried.. you still might be under warranty.. and theres no more 4890s left to sell.. powercolor gave me a 5830 instead.. no charge..
August 2, 2010 1:48:56 AM

I actually don't have it with me right now so I couldn't test out your suggestion :(  Man i should have logged on earlier... I really REALLY hope it's exactly what you said. Ahhh, no more 4890s? I need to keep up with the times :p 

I'm still under warranty for everything, I just don't have any spare parts to swap in whiel waiting for a replacement (assuming everything didn't go kaput in the first place).
August 2, 2010 1:52:26 AM

ks89 said:
I actually don't have it with me right now so I couldn't test out your suggestion :(  Man i should have logged on earlier... I really REALLY hope it's exactly what you said. Ahhh, no more 4890s? I need to keep up with the times :p 

I'm still under warranty for everything, I just don't have any spare parts to swap in whiel waiting for a replacement (assuming everything didn't go kaput in the first place).

good thing you still under warranty.. im betting you'll get your computer back and the guys gonna tell you its your video card.. if so.. more than likely youll get a 5830 as a replacement.. :D  dx11 for free.. woohoo!! but then again i could be completely wrong and the psu out.. :(  lol.. id bet money its the video card tho.. when are you supposed to go back to the computer repair shop?
August 2, 2010 3:04:52 AM

Supposed to get it back by tomorrow afternoon. Dx11 would be pretty awesome, especially for free :D  (darn you and your luck)!

Are the 5830s as loud as the 4890s? Mine really liked to screech lol.
August 2, 2010 3:41:24 AM

ks89 said:
Supposed to get it back by tomorrow afternoon. Dx11 would be pretty awesome, especially for free :D  (darn you and your luck)!

Are the 5830s as loud as the 4890s? Mine really liked to screech lol.

not even close.. i have my fan set a 60% and cant hear a thing.. my idle temps are 29 with the air condition on.. about 40 with it off.. but im in Austin Texas.. its hot..lol.. but regardless if the air conditions on or off the hottest my cards ever gotten is 61 degrees.. when i had my 4890 it wasnt out of the norm for it to hit 85 or 90 under full load.. even tho the rma process sucks and all.. im kind of hoping it is your card just so that way you can get a free new one..lol
August 4, 2010 12:17:45 AM

Just got done talking to the repair folks. They said the pwoer supply was good, but they seem pretty certain it's the motherboard. I'm a little skeptical though, because when I asked them if they tested the videocard in a working system they pretty much said "no," which makes me wonder what the heck they even did. I'm just glad the psu and cpu are fine.

Is there a way to test the video card without swaping?
August 4, 2010 1:58:39 AM

ks89 said:
Just got done talking to the repair folks. They said the pwoer supply was good, but they seem pretty certain it's the motherboard. I'm a little skeptical though, because when I asked them if they tested the videocard in a working system they pretty much said "no," which makes me wonder what the heck they even did. I'm just glad the psu and cpu are fine.

Is there a way to test the video card without swaping?

if you have another computer you can put the video card in and see if its detected.. (thats what i had to do).. thats a horrible computer repair shop.. scratch them off you list for sure.. is the computer booting up at all? monitor turning on? if not take out the video card and plug the cable that goes from the monitor to the video card .. to the monitor and the motherboard.. just take out the video card and use the motherboards onboard graphics.. if it boots up without the video card then that'll tell you your cards fried.. you might have to reset your cmos to get it to boot.. or at least that what i had to do.. let me know how it turns out after you try that..
August 4, 2010 6:11:49 AM

Haha it turns out the guy I was talking to on the phone wasn't the same one who was looking at the computer, so I payed them a personal visit. They actually DID swap in known working parts, still no go. Sounds like I won't be getting a nice new card after all, snaps.

They're pretty sure it's the motherboard at this point. Luckily I just checked where the board's RMA center is, and it's 15 minutes away! I think I'm going to try to arrange a drop off and pick up deal to try to speed things up.

Btw, thanks for all your help jesman :D  This forum is such a friendly place.
August 4, 2010 2:17:55 PM

ks89 said:
Haha it turns out the guy I was talking to on the phone wasn't the same one who was looking at the computer, so I payed them a personal visit. They actually DID swap in known working parts, still no go. Sounds like I won't be getting a nice new card after all, snaps.

They're pretty sure it's the motherboard at this point. Luckily I just checked where the board's RMA center is, and it's 15 minutes away! I think I'm going to try to arrange a drop off and pick up deal to try to speed things up.

Btw, thanks for all your help jesman :D  This forum is such a friendly place.

no problem :)  im glad everything worked out. ty bud
!