Advice on Video Production System

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2010 8:50:43 AM

BUDGET RANGE: up to $1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video Editing / Playback

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: speakers, soundcard

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

SPACE REQUIREMENTS: 10" high, 19" deep including all cable connections. Unit will be enclosed in a cabinet with approx 1" ventilation along the back wall.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Looking for a system for primarily video editing with:
http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/...

System will also be for video/audio playback. Audio will be through an external USB mixer. Video through RCA composite (either an internal connection or an external converter are suitable)

KB / Mouse: Need at least 30 ft range CANNOT be Line Of Sight

August 1, 2010 4:09:08 PM

I use a Shuttle XPC (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)as my video editing machine. I have an Opteron 1354 CPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, a FireGL V3600 PCI-E GPU, 2 Samsung monitors (205BW), 2 HDDs (500GB and 640GB), and a Plextor DVD-RW. It performs great, is very quiet, and gets the job done well.

I recommend the XPC with lower wattage Phenom II/Athlon II X4 CPU (94W or less). I would also suggest a dual monitor config to allow for editing on one screen and viewing on the other.

Keyboard, mouse, HDDs, and BD/DVD burner up to you. I would also recommend Win 7 Pro 64-bit as your OS.

Good luck!!!
m
l
August 2, 2010 5:08:38 PM
Related resources
August 9, 2010 4:03:25 AM

Thanks. I talked to someone I know, and they were of the opinion that a Quad Core would overheat in this case. I don't know if this is true or not.
m
l
August 9, 2010 11:27:50 AM

I have a quad core Opteron 1354 in mine right now. I pound the CPU pretty hard and NEVER have a heat problem. Absolutely not a problem as the included HSF (with heatpipes) is very efficient AND quiet. Your call, but makes a great video production system for me, I highly recommend it given your requirements. Good luck!
m
l
!