CPU swap in a Dell C521

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hello all,

Newbie here. But always hanged around the site. Im sure some of the computer gurus can help.

Has anyone swap a Dell™ Dimension™ C521AMD Sempron AM2 CPU to AMD Athlon LE-1640 2.7GHz Socket AM2 512Kb Cache?

Is this swap possible? Are both compatible at all? We have this old Dell C521 and want to do diy the swap. We just want to run it a little faster and they sell these cheap at the moment. What do I need to do swapping CPU? How hard it is doing this? I done some minor upgrades like memory and dedicated gpu but not a cpu swap. Is it worth the trouble becasue I dont want to mess up my gf only working pc. Any help appreciated.

I posted this on another forum to get a wider response. I hope this is alright.

Cheers

Racingzone

If you are gonna swap anything in there put an Athlon 64 x2 they will work in your motherboard no problem and would be the best upgrade choice. I doubt you will see too much of a difference but, it will be faster none the less.

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for the reply buddy. I did read that the C521 came out with Athlon 64 x2. But with very limited budget I can live with the Athlon LE-1640 2.7GHz.

Would I need the to do anything with the BIOS setting? I heard some say I need to update this after the swap? Will the stock the cpu fan be ok with the new Athlon? Any tools I need to take the old Sempron? As you can see not done this before but any help will be usefull.

Cheers

Racingzone

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
why are you settling for a still weak chip.?
with a BIOS update you have more options of cpu's to choose from.
you can find good deals on better chips on newegg or even eBay.
the fastest chips for your c521 and I specify c521 not e521....
is a brisbane class 5600+ (2.9Ghz), the best 65watt cpu athlon 64x2 they made.
there are windsor class athlon 64x2 but they require more power.
a c521 does not have the juice to run a windsor and a gpu so to do that you would need a psu upgrade.

I am in the UK. The cpu's you mention are not available on most online retailers here but thanks for the usefull info about the other cpu options. I just want to try out if I can get this running faster with the least money trown at it.

Also the satisfaction of diy is a great satisfaction.

Like my post above, is there anything I should be cautious when swapping cpu to be aware of?

Cheers

Racingzone

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
update BIOS first.
unplug all USB devices except for mouse and keyboard if they are USB keep them plugged in. run the BIOS.
get BIOS it is on Dell site and you should know it's runs well from in windows, no need to try to flash BIOS on start-up.
so download from Dell and run it once you save it to your desktop. do not try and flash, run from within windows..
it will reboot and your done...

go back into case with a phillips screwdriver and unscrew the two retention screws that secure heatsink.
carefully pull up and out as you will see round hinges on the other side from the now removed screws.
remove heatsink and put aside, now to the cpu socket, lift metal lever on side to release cpu lock.
if using your hands and not some 'grapple' type device, put your thumb at the bottom and another finger at top and lift up at the same time,
you do not want to chance bending pins just in case.
with new cpu, make sure you line up the four indents within the bottom of the cpu with the indents in the socket, only then it will have a secure fit
and work properly. once in lower the locking lever and grab the heatsink.
with a now clean heatsink and freshly applied thermal compound (i use spread technique and not pin drop method), re-install heatsink with
round hinges going in first, line it up and re-insert and tighten screws. you might have to move the heatsink around to line-up screws but don't worry
about touching it, no damage will be done. tighten up screws, reconnect all cables and power lines, double check fan connection.
close case, plug her up and boot.

Thanks for that detailed step by step instructions. Wish you live local to me so I can take my desktop to you and show this to me.

I looked at amazon just now and found one of the cpu's you mention

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Athlon-Brisbane-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B001HON3YS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286315874&sr=1-1-fkmr0

I think I have enough to get this one. This should be fast enough to meet my needs.

Thanks you again for posting replies. This is just a great forum.

Cheers

Racingzone

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I placed an order for the chip. Should be here on Friday. If anything does go wrong with my Dell malmetal is the only one to blame :non: .

Seriously, thanks bro for the help. Should be a happy bunny this weekend if I get this running using your instructions.

Cheers

Racingzone

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
You won't enjoy coming here right now the weather is crap, it been rainning the whole week and its cold.

I'm not too worried if this does not run because I will send my Dell to you to fix it. You can deliver it back in person then I'll take you to her majesty the queen.

Cheers

Racingzone

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Success!

Thanks to all who posted tips and advise on how to swap our old Sempron to our new Anthlon 64 X2 5600+

Big thanks to malmental. Your the man!

Thank you again. I think I caught the upgrade bug. Next is a good GPU when funds is available.

Again, could anyone recommend the best low profile card that the stock psu can handle?

Here is the our evidence....

Cpu.jpg

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Bro. glad it worked. i hope my instructions weren't too far off.
nVidia, they make a low profile 9600GT and also a low powered / low profile 9600GT as well.
There are better cards but with your set-up and me knowing your machine I'd look for one of those.
Also nVidia is your units chipset manufacturer, you can run ATI cards but I like to stay with what you already have (easier on the compatibility) so my recommendation is nVidia.
Enjoy..

I've been given by mate to try the same card below but the low profile brackets didnt fit the case/motherboard. Too bad cus It would have been a cheap buy.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174126

Now I been looking around for a 9600GT but most of the cards available are not low profile one. Can anyone who done a video card upgrade on a C521 recommended a specific make. I don't want to buy one which supplied bracket does not fit the case/mother board.

Has anyone tried the cards below?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GeForce-Profile-Graphics-Interface-PCI-Express/dp/B00274HM0I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286572347&sr=8-1-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sparkle-GeForce-nVIDIA-COOLPIPE-Profile/dp/B003GTVWM2/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1286613965&sr=1-9

Any help again would be great.

Racingzone

I believe the retail box of the MSI ATI Radeon HD 5570 1024MB includes a low-profile bracket.

edit:

Same with the Sapphire HD5570 1GB

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hi All,

I've been running this new chip (brisbane 5600+) for a few weeks now and and can't help notice that the core temp runs a little hot compared to the old Sempron.

With CoreTemp it's reading as high as 76C at full load. Its idle at 64C without load.

Is this the normal reading for this chip?

Can anyone give feedback?

Thanks

racingzone

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Alright, I took it apart and put fresh Artic Silver compound on both heat sink and cpu. It did make a big difference after. The idle temp is down to 50C

Thanks malmental!

1.jpg