Sign in with
Your question

2 ssd's and one hdd setup

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 10:53:25 AM

getting larger 2nd ssd drive today,,, wondering the best way to set them up,,going to reinstall win7 pro on larger 256gig ssd, got second ssd 128gig for less played games, and a large 1000gig hdd for storage,,

so do both ssd's go on the intel controllers,,then add the large hdd to marvel controller after install..

thanks...i have a p9x79pro mobo..16 gig ram, 3930k running 4.6,,,

More about : ssd hdd setup

a c 104 G Storage
October 20, 2012 11:15:57 PM

Hi Fred, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Hook the 256 GB SSD to the White SATA_1 as your boot drive, and the 128 GB SSD on SATA_2 (both SATA III).
Put your DVD on the Blue SATA_3, the 1TB HDD on the Blue SATA_4 (both are SATA II).
Stay away from the Marvel chipset unless all your other SATA ports are filled.

The SATA II protocol has a speed of 2400 Gb/s or 300 GB/s, which is way faster than the 1TB HDD SATA III, which will give you a transfer rate of on average 100 - 125 GB/s. So it will never saturate the SATA II and will not be a bottleneck.

That way all your SATA ports come from the Intel PHC chip and you don't have to rely on an additional chip and chip controller.
m
l
October 21, 2012 9:41:55 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Fred, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Hook the 256 GB SSD to the White SATA_1 as your boot drive, and the 128 GB SSD on SATA_2 (both SATA III).
Put your DVD on the Blue SATA_3, the 1TB HDD on the Blue SATA_4 (both are SATA II).
Stay away from the Marvel chipset unless all your other SATA ports are filled.

The SATA II protocol has a speed of 2400 Gb/s or 300 GB/s, which is way faster than the 1TB HDD SATA III, which will give you a transfer rate of on average 100 - 125 GB/s. So it will never saturate the SATA II and will not be a bottleneck.

That way all your SATA ports come from the Intel PHC chip and you don't have to rely on an additional chip and chip controller.

thanks for your reply..

i have my 256gig ssd on sata1-6g. the 256 on sata2-6g, these are gray on my mobo,

i put my dvd on sata-3g-blue

i have my 6g 1tb hdd on marvel connector..i did this because of the 6g hdd,,, so it would be better on the intel 3g, even tho hdd is 6g.. i was tranfering files from external to 6g hdd and twice the drive disapearred,,
had to reboot to get drive back,, is that bottle neck...thanks
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 10:47:35 AM

i dont understand why it take 5 minutes to move 100 meg of file fron one disk to another,,shouldnt it takes a few seconds,,thanks
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
October 21, 2012 4:20:42 PM

fredgal said:
i dont understand why it take 5 minutes to move 100 meg of file fron one disk to another,,shouldnt it takes a few seconds,,thanks

Hi Fred, Well if you are transferring data from an Ext USB connected drive, you may get 20 Gb/s if you'r lucky.

You may also be having an issue with the Marvel controller or even chip. Unless all your SATA II ports are filled up, DONT use it.
Check the math I did regarding the HDD speed (150GB/s Max) and the SATA II port speed (300GB/s) You can't saturate the SATA II port with a SATA III HDD. Don't get caught up in the marketing hype of SATA III HDD's, it's just marketing.

The SSD's are different, in that the newer ones can give you a transfer speedi of 450-525 MB/s, which would saturate a SATA II port, but not the SATA III ports like you have them hooked up to.

Once you have them configured this way, download and run HD Tune free edition, and you can check the average transfer rates of each one of the drives, using the Benchmark TAB. It's also good to have a baseline benchmark of all their transfer speeds, so that down the road if there is a question about performance, you can compare back to you baseline.
m
l
October 31, 2012 9:10:08 AM

ran hd tune..vertex 3 ..120 ssd runs about 388/mbs

vertex 4, 256 ssd runs 300/mbs

the 1000 gig hdd runs 130/mbs

does this sound right
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
October 31, 2012 2:14:52 PM

fredgal said:
ran hd tune..vertex 3 ..120 ssd runs about 388/mbs

vertex 4, 256 ssd runs 300/mbs

the 1000 gig hdd runs 130/mbs

does this sound right

Run the benchmark tests again on each drive, then give us a screenshot of the graph, or report the max, avg, min GB/s speed on the right side.
You should be getting burst max reads up around 400-450 GB/s. And both the SSD's are on the SATA 6 ports? The avg read transfer rates will be somewhat slower. If the numbers you listed are average transfer rates, they are fine.

Here is a screenshot of my Vertex 3 120GB drive I just benchmarked for you to compare to yours.

The 130 MB/s HDD rate is just where it should be!

Hope that's helpful!
m
l
!