CPU + Heat sink attachment error

eumeterateme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hi, first off I would like to say I have read previous articles on this forum and some of the answers are terrific. You guys do a great job :) and hopefully have words of wisdom for me!

Computer Specs:
i7 860 Processor @ Stock 2.8Ghz
750W Corsair PSU
Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Heat Sink w/ 2 Fans
EVGA Superclocked GTX 275
Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI
4GB Corsair DDR3 XMS RAM @ 1333Mhz

Recently I decided to replace the thermal compound on my CPU due to the fact that it was slowly starting to overheat (Full load temp went from 59~64C to 79~86C). As I removed the Heat sink, cpu, cleaned/washed with arctic cooler solution 1 & 2, and went to apply AC5 on my CPU. Whether I applied the dot method, line that AC5 suggests, full thin spread, or hybrid X spread none work. My heat sink clicks into place and I check the other side of the motherboard to confirm the ends of the 4 clips sticking out but when I turn my PC on my CPU Temperature starts sky rocketing (80C Idle). I remove the heat sink and see that there was almost minimal contact no matter what the method. What can you suggest I do? Any help would be appreciated!

Yes the push pins on an intel stock cooler can be a bit of a nightmare !.
There have been a few cases of this in the forum, most of the cause is when one push pin has not clicked
right the way down on to the cpu heat spredder.
One lift in a corner will cause a gap .

Double check they are firmly set down, somtimes you get two clicks out of each push pin.