Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Two separate cpu cables to motherboard or one?

Last response: in Components
October 5, 2010 10:30:08 PM

Rampage III Extreme has 2 4x4 CPU ports and my Corsair 1200w PSU has two separate 8x4 cables that each split into 4x4. So that makes a total of 4 4x4 connections.

Because the ports on the Ramage are close together, I can easily connect both 4x4 connections from one cable. The question is, was this intended or should I be using 2 separate cables for each 4x4?

The only reason I ask is because if you were supposed to use both connections on the 1 8x4 cable, why wouldnt mobo manufacturers just run a 8x4 connection? :/ 
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a c 89 V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 10:56:19 PM

Just use one cable IMO

Most mb's have the 8 pin power connector instead of two separate 4 pin's

You could try reading the mb manual too , I guess
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 11:34:51 PM

It sounds like you'll have quite a build so i will assume you will be overclocking. If this is the case use both, but if this is not the case and all your going with is like a 930 then you'll save power by using one (it might get finicky and restart on you if you aren't giving enough to the cpu - youll know when the cpu needs more juice then just plug the other one in)

FYI - if your gonna do a sli build with crazy cards make sure to plug in both auxilary 4 pin power cables to the mobo or youll suffer instability.
Related resources
October 8, 2010 2:58:34 PM

Yeah, I read the manual and it didn't say. I would assume you can use one cable but hooked two anyways.
m
l
October 8, 2010 2:58:48 PM

Best answer selected by Pyro2008.
m
l
!