Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moving OS from smaller ssd to larger ssd

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 2:55:43 PM

I have a 128 ssd with win 7 Pro 64 bit installed only. I'd like to move it to a 256 ssd so that I can also load photoshop and Lightroom onto the larger ssd. I've read about cloning but there seems to be mixed thoughts on this. I also have the original win 7 Pro CD that I used to load the OS on original 128 ssd. Could I used this cd for a fresh install on the larger 256 ssd without problems.

Thanks,
Tom
a c 167 G Storage
October 19, 2012 3:08:39 PM

I see no reason why you can't just clone the 128gb ssd to the new 256gb ssd.
I have done this with no problems several times.
If the new ssd is from Intel, you can download their ssd migration tool.
It will clone your old to the new.
It is a modified version of acronis true image clone tool that works with Intel ssd's.

Samsung is the other good ssd vendor. They might also have such a utility.
If not, acronis true image is available for a 30 day trial. You could use that to do the cloning.
They hope you will like the product enough to buy it.
It is a good product, and worth buying.

Yes, you could do a clean install, but if you already have a working os drive, I see no advantage to it.
All the ssd specific things have already been done. Bios sata mode =AHCI is the one essential.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
October 19, 2012 4:22:14 PM

Since you have two SSDs why don't you keep the OS on the 128gb SSD and then just load all your programs onto the larger SSD. Both are SSD drives and so are operating at a faster speed so it won't make any difference where the programs are loaded they will still have the fast access. I actually don't have a conventional hard drive just SSD drives and keep the OS on one and everything else on the other.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2012 4:32:28 PM

I never really thought of using the second ssd for program files only. I do have a 2 Tb HHD that I was going to use just for programs and fiing but I see this may work out even better than cloning from smaller to larger drive. If anyone sees any drawbacks to this, please comment -

but it really sounds like the best way to go to me right now, as I was looking for faster processing for Photoshop and Lightroom and Corel Painter.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and input.

Tom
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
October 19, 2012 6:00:15 PM

Tomh2m2 said:
I never really thought of using the second ssd for program files only. I do have a 2 Tb HHD that I was going to use just for programs and fiing but I see this may work out even better than cloning from smaller to larger drive. If anyone sees any drawbacks to this, please comment -

but it really sounds like the best way to go to me right now, as I was looking for faster processing for Photoshop and Lightroom and Corel Painter.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and input.

Tom

Some programs and files need to be loaded on the "C" drive where the registry is. If you are in any danger of filling up the C drive, then a larger ssd would be better. A larger ssd tends to be a bit faster because it will have more nand chips that it can access in parallel. Sort of an internal raid-0 if you will.
Also, a ssd will slow down as it fills to it's capacity limit. Guard against that.

I think I would put the os and some work files on the large ssd, and repurpose the 128gb ssd for a second work file.

I have cloned the os drive perhaps a handful of times without incident. Smaller to larger is easy.
With a ssd, it is also a fast process.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
October 19, 2012 7:56:54 PM

If you can determine what amount of space is required for the different programs that you have you can then determine which drive you want to use for what. A lot will be determined by what OS version you have since the different versions have different features and will take up varrying amounts of space on a drive. So you may want to plan out the way you want to use the two drives before you load Windows.
m
l
October 20, 2012 7:55:36 PM

I guess what I need clarificaion is the following: As I just built this system, I have load the OS - Win 7 Pro 64 on the 128 SSD (Crucial) - then after seeing how easy and fast it responded, I decided that I should have installed the 256 ssd with the OS and then I could load Photoshop, Lightroom and Corel Painter on to it as well. After loading the OS, I have not connected to the internet with this computer yet. So, can I just disconnect this drive, install the new 256 ssd (Samsung 830) and re-install the OS from my original OEM CD and then connect to internet to validate and register the OS? Then can I just reformat the 128 ssd to wipe clean and use it as a separate drive?

Thanks,
Tom
m
l
a b G Storage
October 20, 2012 8:05:14 PM

Just install Windows on the new SSD, and then copy any files from the old drive to the new one; you can then just properly erase the old SSD.

It's a SSD, it will only take minutes to install and copy files over to the new SSD. Fresh installs are always good too. That's all you need to do. So basically yes to your last message.
m
l

Best solution

a c 167 G Storage
October 20, 2012 9:28:00 PM

Tomh2m2 said:
I guess what I need clarificaion is the following: As I just built this system, I have load the OS - Win 7 Pro 64 on the 128 SSD (Crucial) - then after seeing how easy and fast it responded, I decided that I should have installed the 256 ssd with the OS and then I could load Photoshop, Lightroom and Corel Painter on to it as well. After loading the OS, I have not connected to the internet with this computer yet. So, can I just disconnect this drive, install the new 256 ssd (Samsung 830) and re-install the OS from my original OEM CD and then connect to internet to validate and register the OS? Then can I just reformat the 128 ssd to wipe clean and use it as a separate drive?

Thanks,
Tom

Exactly.

It does not matter if you have internet connection, or even if you have already activated.
The oem license is tied to the motherboard, and you can change any peripherals you want.

Yes, you are perfectly free to reinstall the os on the 256gb drive and reformat the 128gb ssd for use as whatever.
Have only the single ssd installed when you install the os, or windows will try to put a recovery partition on a second drive.

Or, you can clone the 128gb ssd to the 250gb ssd and then wipe the 128gb ssd..
If you don't have a cloning utility, download a free trial of acronis true image to do the job.
Do not worry about failure, you can always do the clean install on the 256gb ssd and start from scratch.
October 30, 2012 1:50:20 AM

Best answer selected by Tomh2m2.
m
l
October 30, 2012 1:56:38 AM

I decided to do a clean install on the 256 ssd. I disconnected the 128 ssd and the 2T hhd before starting the clean install. After the oscwas installed, I reconnected the 128 ssd wiped it and 2T hhd and everything worked out ok. Thanks for all comments and suggestions.
m
l
!