How do you stop/disable memtest86+?

pyTech

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
When I started up my computer, it decided to run memtest. Now, it won't stop running memtest. Every time I restart it goes back into the same loop of tests. I can't use or boot my computer. I can't find anything in the BIOS settings to disable it. Is there any way to stop it??

Best Way:
Eject Memtest CD/DVD, Ctrl+Alt+Del or press the Power Button.

Worst Way:
Smith & Wesson
macbook_destroyed.jpg

pyTech

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Tried Esc - that just restarts the computer, which just restarts memtest.
There is no USB or CD in the computer - it is booting off the hard drive.
I have pressed the power button - same result as Esc.
Memtest is installed with the Ubuntu package (My computer was running version 11.04), hence why it does not need a CD to run. I have found no BIOS option to disable it.

More poking around seems to indicate there is something wrong with the grub menu, as its only options are to boot memtest.

Malmental - my username is fine, considering that none of you have found a solution to my problem either.

diesel_zappa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I had exactly this problem and as a Linux (Ubuntu) newbie, it took a few hours of searching the internet for an answer to discover how to solve it. I installed an app called Startup Administrator. Inadvertently in the Startup Options tab, under Default Operating System, I must have selected memtest. Seems silly that this should be an option but that's what causes the problem. The fix was to pull-up GRUB (Grand Unifier Bootloader). Essentially, this seems to be similar to keying F8 on Windows systems. You will be presented with a list of boot options, from which you can select Linux again. Then, once in Linux, do make sure you go into Startup Administrator and correct the original mistake so that Linux is automatically loaded on boot. Hope this post helps some lost soul in the future as I was for a bit. It made me think that it is always worth posting a fix to a problem on these forums because someone could be tearing their hair out on the same problem as you were before you found your answer. I will make sure I always post in the future, should I stumble upon solutions to problems!

:)

TRENDING THREADS