Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to set up new SSD

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 5:07:29 PM

I'm about to buy a 128 GB SSD. I want to set this up as my boot disk. My current boot disk is a 500 GB Western Digital. I have several other drives with drive letters up to F. If I set up the new SSD to drive G, can I leave my current system disk at drive C without any conflicts? If my SSD is drive G will system updates automatically default to it?

More about : set ssd

a c 119 G Storage
October 19, 2012 5:35:25 PM

If you want to make the SSD your boot disk why do you want to leave the other drive as drive C? All updates and downloads will automaticly default load to the C drive. The bios will automaticly want to load the C drive as the OS drive unless it sees the OS on the other drive and gives you the choice but it won't automaticly load the SSD drive as the OS drive and you will be asked every time which drive you want to load.
Why do you want to leave the same OS on the other drive?
m
l
October 19, 2012 5:57:23 PM

inzone said:
If you want to make the SSD your boot disk why do you want to leave the other drive as drive C? All updates and downloads will automaticly default load to the C drive. The bios will automaticly want to load the C drive as the OS drive unless it sees the OS on the other drive and gives you the choice but it won't automaticly load the SSD drive as the OS drive and you will be asked every time which drive you want to load.
Why do you want to leave the same OS on the other drive?

Thanks for your quick reply.
I wanted to leave the old drive as drive C because I'm not sure how to change its drive letter. Is it possible to easily change its letter? I'm just not all that knowledgeable of these things.
m
l
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
October 19, 2012 8:16:35 PM

In Windows there is a place called Disk Management and you can do all sorts of things there related to drives.
Go to the start menu and right click on computer and select manage. Then in the window that pops up select Disk Management and that will take you to the Disk Mnagement screen and you will see all the drives there even the dvd drives. If you right click on one of the drives you will have options to choose from and one of them is to assign a drive letter. You may have to have Windows loaded on to the SSD to be able to change the drive C letter.
Is there also a reason to leave the same OS on another drive? Or are you going to delete the old OS once you change the drive letter?
m
l
October 19, 2012 9:29:04 PM

inzone said:
In Windows there is a place called Disk Management and you can do all sorts of things there related to drives.
Go to the start menu and right click on computer and select manage. Then in the window that pops up select Disk Management and that will take you to the Disk Mnagement screen and you will see all the drives there even the dvd drives. If you right click on one of the drives you will have options to choose from and one of them is to assign a drive letter. You may have to have Windows loaded on to the SSD to be able to change the drive C letter.
Is there also a reason to leave the same OS on another drive? Or are you going to delete the old OS once you change the drive letter?

I was wanting to keep the operating system on the old drive 'til I make sure the new one (SSD) will work without any problems. I would hate to delete the operating system and find out that the new SSD, for some reason, crashed or would not work and have to reinstall windows 7. I've also ordered windows 8. If it doesn't work out to my satisfaction I may have to revert back to Windows 7. I think it would be easier just to leave Windows 7 on the old hard drive until I've got everything working like I want it.

Thanks for telling me about the Disk manager.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
October 19, 2012 10:53:54 PM

The Disk Management is the easiest place to deal with any changes to the hard drives. Once you are satisfied with the install on the SSD you can also clean the old drive in Disk Management by just deleting the drives partition and then making a new partition and formatting it.
m
l
November 3, 2012 11:31:31 PM

inzone said:
The Disk Management is the easiest place to deal with any changes to the hard drives. Once you are satisfied with the install on the SSD you can also clean the old drive in Disk Management by just deleting the drives partition and then making a new partition and formatting it.

if I make a new partition on the old drive that will clean everything off the drive, is that correct?
m
l

Best solution

November 4, 2012 4:06:23 AM

Here's how to install OS on the SSD

First unplug all HDDs from your PC and have only the SSD plugged in.
If you don't do that then windows will create a 100mb file on one of the HDDs.

Then install the OS on the SSD.

connect HDDs to the system again.

Change boot priority in BIOS and you should be done.

You can then delete windows files that are stored on the old 500gb HDD
November 4, 2012 2:54:48 PM

jaideep1337 said:
Here's how to install OS on the SSD

First unplug all HDDs from your PC and have only the SSD plugged in.
If you don't do that then windows will create a 100mb file on one of the HDDs.

Then install the OS on the SSD.

connect HDDs to the system again.

Change boot priority in BIOS and you should be done.

You can then delete windows files that are stored on the old 500gb HDD

I've done all that except deleting the files on the drive. I'm still migrating files and data from the old hard drive. Is it possible to run programs off of the old hard drive so I won't have to install everything on my SSD? The SSD is 128 GB and the HDD is 512 GB and has about 300 GB on it now.
m
l
November 13, 2012 11:34:38 PM

Best answer selected by GBC.
m
l
!