External Hard Drive erased?

Hi, first of all I'm a Windows 7 user, if that helps.
I have an external hard drive with thousands of personal photos. I bought another HDD to back up the photos. During the process of moving all the files from the old one to the new one the transfer got stuck. I could not cancel the transfer (I pressed cancel and it just didn't stop the transfer...) so I disconnected them both to try again, this time skipping the corrupt file. After reconnecting my old hard drive Windows tells me I need to format the drive before I can use it, as if it is brand new and never used without any info on it. Of course I decline Windows offer, but after a few seconds it tells me the drive is inaccessible. Now Windows recognizes the drive but when I try to access it nothing happens... I find it truly ironic that this happens while trying to back up the drive...
Also, I know I'm stupid for straight disconnecting it while it tries to transfer files. There's no need to tell me.
I know the info and the truly irreplaceable collection of pictures are still on the hard drive. Any help?
1 answer Last reply
More about external hard drive erased
  1. The partition info may have become corrupted when you unplugged the drive. This program may be able to restore it.

Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives External Hard Drive Storage