Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD/HDD Issues

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 5:56:31 PM

Hello all,

I appreciate the help you guys gave me last time. The rig I built is amazing.. until recently.

A few days ago my computer would blue screen after about an hour of being on. I have ruled out driver issues and ram issues and have concluded that my ssd has probably been malfunctioning. I have 2 SSD's in RAID 0 and 2 HDD's in RAID 0. The OS is in the SSD and I recently installed it into my HDD. Left it on for about 3 hours without any issue.

My friend was helping me back up my things from my SSD because it was showing up in "My Computer." After an hour or so of being on, the SSD disappeared from "My Computer." This lead to me believing that my SSD is crapping out will soon be completely broken. I have currently ordered an Intel 520 Series 180gb SSD and will be putting my os and everything on that.

I just want to confirm with you guys that my SSD is the problem and nothing else.

ALSO, my motherboard (ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z) recognizes the HDD as the SSD and the SSD as the HDD. Whenever I manual boot from the SSD it boots to my HDD and vice versa. Why would my MOBO confuse the two (in actuality 4 in separate raid 0) storage devices?

Thank you guys so much!

JD

More about : ssd hdd issues

a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 6:18:45 PM

Its probably confused because you put the OS on both RAID sets. I am curious as to why you did that? Maybe that is the issue. I would remove one of the OSs and see what that does. I have never run my OSs on RAID sets either. Not sure if your SSDs are just not working correctly in RAID. I would also run them as single disks and run some tests.
m
l
October 19, 2012 7:13:45 PM

maestro0428 said:
Its probably confused because you put the OS on both RAID sets. I am curious as to why you did that? Maybe that is the issue. I would remove one of the OSs and see what that does. I have never run my OSs on RAID sets either. Not sure if your SSDs are just not working correctly in RAID. I would also run them as single disks and run some tests.

Well the only reason I put the OS on the HDD was because I needed to run the OS on a separate HDD since I kept blue screening with the SSD. I'll try and remove the SSD later on today to see if the MOBO will recognize it as an HDD not an SSD. I ran it as RAID 0 b/c 60 I thought wouldnt be enough to host the OS and 2 of em ran me about 100 bucks since they were on sale.

BTW: the SSD was crucial brand.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 144 G Storage
October 20, 2012 1:48:16 AM

You need update the firmware for the crucial SSD because After 5184 hours (yes, that's the specific number) of active use, the SSD started to cause blue screens of death (i.e. BSODs) every hour or so.

Here is link form download the firmware http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx
October 20, 2012 2:19:14 AM

cin19 said:
You need update the firmware for the crucial SSD because After 5184 hours (yes, that's the specific number) of active use, the SSD started to cause blue screens of death (i.e. BSODs) every hour or so.

Here is link form download the firmware http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Alrighty, Installing as we speak I'll let you know if it works. I have already ordered an intel 520 180 gb ssd. But if this some how solves the problem that would be great. Any reason as to why the SSD does that?
m
l
October 20, 2012 3:09:22 AM

So, while restarting my computer, my SSD is no longer visible. My Computer doesn't see it, nor does my motherboard/bios. Any ideas?

EDIT: I shut off and then turned on and it's back on. BIOS still recognizes HDD as SSD and HDD as SSD. Installed firmware and awaiting if the SSD stays on if so great success however I want the bios to recognize the correct drive.
m
l
October 20, 2012 3:30:56 AM

So just to be clear whenever you say "my SSD" in the single tense, are you actually talking about 2 SSD's in Raid 0? Also do you have a raid controller card, software/windows raid drivers aren't known for there stellar stability, I'd either buy a hardware raid controller or stick to one drive for your OS.
m
l
October 20, 2012 3:34:20 AM

MotherFerJones said:
So just to be clear whenever you say "my SSD" in the single tense, are you actually talking about 2 SSD's in Raid 0? Also do you have a raid controller card, software/windows raid drivers aren't known for there stellar stability, I'd either buy a hardware raid controller or stick to one drive for your OS.

The controller is built into the MOBO and yes, the SSDs are in raid 0. Now, I'm getting my new SSD in a few days. I'm planning to install the OS into that alone and then format the SSDs that are in raid 0. Is it possible to move ALL the files in the raided SSDs into the single SSD and should I do it before or after I install the OS onto the new SSD.
m
l
October 20, 2012 3:45:38 AM

Well since its RAID 0 you would have to have the OS environment up and running while transferring the files since it most likely split the files into two when saving to the RAID array. I would install the new SSD, by itself, install the OS, then hook up your RAID array and boot from the new SSD, you should be able to see/use/copy any files off the array.
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:08:56 AM

After I install everything How do I remove the OS from the HDD (not SSD). The HDD contains files that I installed and chose it as my destination
m
l
October 20, 2012 6:20:03 AM

So, I can't launch the OS on my SSD. I'm trying to manually launch it from the bio screen. Keep it mind, that both my HDDs and SSDs contain the same OS.

Thanks
m
l
October 27, 2012 12:00:32 AM

Best answer selected by KJ67o.
m
l
!