Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Tips on which SSD to go for?

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 5:57:49 PM

Hello, I am currently interested in getting a new, very large SSD (pref. 512 GB, but the 480s might be OK if they're significantly better options), but other than performance reviews, I'm having a hard time finding any info on good ones to pick. By which I mean: reliability, good service, etc.

I hear Samsung are very good in all aspects, but for a Samsung 830 in that capacity range it's ~$540 or so, as compared to some of the other drives being in the $380-$420 range. The ones I see in the price range that I like include:

512GB:
OCZ Vertex 4
Plextor M3
Crucial M4

480GB:
Corsair Force GS/GT
Mushkin Enhanced? (Haven't heard much about mushkin SSDs at all, but they're pretty cheap)

Anyone got advice for me on any of this business?

More about : tips ssd

October 19, 2012 6:04:42 PM

Samsung or Crucial for reliabilty.
a c 351 G Storage
October 19, 2012 6:27:23 PM

Do not use performance benchmarks. Yes they will so a difference, sometimes large. But In real life there is Very little differnce in Real life day-to-day OBSERVABLE difference.

I have 3 Curcial M4's ( 2 x 128 gig and one 256 gig) also have 3 Samsung 830's (again 2 x 128 + a 256). I see absolutely no difference.

I tend to shy away from SSDs that use the SF22xx controller (Most 480 gig SSDs use). These are optimized to perform very well with Data that is Highly compressable - Using ATTO benchmark makes them shine - OPPS real life OS + program data is NOT highly compressable.

My recommendations are for Samsung 830 (newer but more expensive 840), Curcial M4 or the plextor M3 (newer version is the M4). Which One THE CHEAPEST one at time of purchase. They are also VERY close on having the LOWEST negative feedback. Reliabilty can not truely be assested as they have NOT been out long enough.
But I have 13 SSDs, one being the OLD Intel G1, and NOT a single failure.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 6:39:24 PM

Personally, if I was gonna spend that much an an SSD I would shell out and get one I knew was going to be reliable (which to me, unfortunately, would one of the more expensive ones). Lotta money for a potential paper weight :/ .
October 19, 2012 7:04:57 PM

RetiredChief said:
Do not use performance benchmarks. Yes they will so a difference, sometimes large. But In real life there is Very little differnce in Real life day-to-day OBSERVABLE difference.

I have 3 Curcial M4's ( 2 x 128 gig and one 256 gig) also have 3 Samsung 830's (again 2 x 128 + a 256). I see absolutely no difference.

I tend to shy away from SSDs that use the SF22xx controler. These are optimized to perform very well with Data that is Highly compressable - Using ATTO benchmark makes them shine - OPPS realife OS + program data is NOT highly compressable.

My recommendations are for Samsung 830 (newer but more expensive 840), Curcial M4 or the plextor M3 (newer version is the M4). Which One THE CHEAPEST one at time of purchase. They are also VERY close on having the LOWEST negative feedback. Reliabilty can not truely be assested as they have NOT been out long enough.
But I have 13 SSDs, one being the OLD Intel G1, and NOT a single failure.

OK this is all pretty much what I wanted to know. I have a follow-up question if anyone can help me w/ that, narrowing it down given these factors, a Crucial M4 looks good to me.

The follow-up question is pretty much how whether the "data transfer kit" that comes w/ the CT512M4SSD2CCA is worth it, and/or how it works. It seems to have a cable that is some form of USB-to-SATA and a software disc, but I have no idea what it would do as far as windows installation & such goes. So IDK if it would be worth more to me to get one w/ the data kit or try to find one w/ an actual bracket & cable.

After typing that part out, I thought of something else. The reason I want a SSD that big is BC my current HD set up (2x250GB RAID 0) is completely full of the video games I like to keep around in case I want to play them w/o having to re-install. As such, getting a smaller SSD would mean I either have to leave a lot of those games off of the system, or find some way to transfer them from my HDDs to the new SSD, which as I understand it just copy-pasting them between each one wouldn't work properly. Anyone know of some software to manage such a thing or something? That might open me up to buying a smaller SSD & only putting part of my data on it.

Thanks again everyone.
a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 7:09:56 PM

So you do not have room for both all 3 drives? For the price of that 500gb drive, you could practically buy a 128 ssd and two 1tb drives for a new RAID array. I think there is software that can clone the drive so that the pointers to your program data can be preserved. The problem with simply copying and pasting installed data for games is that the OS has specific addresses or pointers it references when accessing program data, and if you just copy it to another drive, the pointers do not reference the correct drive. I think there are programs that take care of this and that there are also manual ways to do it.
October 19, 2012 7:17:54 PM

chugot9218 said:
So you do not have room for both all 3 drives? For the price of that 500gb drive, you could practically buy a 128 ssd and two 1tb drives for a new RAID array. I think there is software that can clone the drive so that the pointers to your program data can be preserved. The problem with simply copying and pasting installed data for games is that the OS has specific addresses or pointers it references when accessing program data, and if you just copy it to another drive, the pointers do not reference the correct drive. I think there are programs that take care of this and that there are also manual ways to do it.

I think I have enough room for another drive or 2, and I'm currently using an extra drive to store all of my emulator stuff that I could probably remove all together if I got some newer ones (it's getting pretty old, 10 years nearly), I'm just not very clear on HOW to manage a SSD + HDD setup like that efficiently.

I hadn't even really thought about software options to manage multi-disk setups like that until one of my WOW buddies brought it up today. I would love to have a smaller SSD & some much larger HDDs if I can efficiently transfer the program files I want between the SSD & HDDs when I desire to play something different.

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 7:21:39 PM

Yeah, I'm a little curious what your reason for buying a 512GB SSD is. If you don't mind doing a little space management, a 128GB drives paired with a 1TB HDD is plenty. I personally use a 60GB drive, and it's enough for my needs (gaming).

I like to move my users and program data folders to my HDD like this (while installing windows): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

Follow that up with disabling some space hogging features: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...

And if you game, you can use mklink to migrate your steamapps folder to your HDD, and SteamMover to move individual games back and forth between the HDD and the SSD.

As for data transfer kits, I personally wouldn't bother. Windows installs a little differently on an SSD (disabling defrag on the SSD for example), and there can be a significant difference in performance. Plus a clean install is really easy to do with a new drive, and will be faster than a OS thats accumulated clutter.
October 19, 2012 8:03:35 PM

OK this has all been REALLY helpful, and given the drop-down in target capacity I think I will go w/ a Samsung 830 :D  . BUT I have last question I think:

When I was looking at regular HDDs earlier in my shopping process, I ran into a lot, and I mean A LOT, of bad reviews about HDDs from pretty much every manufacturer I could find in the last 6 mo. or so. I think I read something about flooding or some such somewhere in Asia hurting the HDD manufacturers so that might be related, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good HDD brands? Probably gonna stick w/ a 1 TB 7,200 RPM style, nothing extravagant. Debating on whether to go RAID 1 for it or not, feedback for that may be helpful too. In the end, I may decide solely based on Warranty when I think about it, but feedback would be helpful.
a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 8:11:39 PM

WD Black drives are the gold standard for HDDs. Samsung Spinpoint F3 and WD Blue are close runners up.
a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 8:14:11 PM

Western Digital is a quality brand from what I understand, yes, the tsunami caused problems but it was more along the supply line so that the drives got more expensive, not lower quality. The Western Digital Black is their "high reliability" line, it is a bit more expensive than the others but comes with a 5 year warranty which is quite nice. I don't recall the feature specific to the blue line, I believe the green are rated to run at lower wattage so they are "green". There have also been a lot of buys and sells of manufacturer's and their brands, I think Seagate bought out the Samsung line of drives or something like that? So now a drive may be labled as from one manufacturer but it is just the name, it is now produced by the new manufacturer, and some people have beef with that so a lot of complaints for the purchasing company get extended to the newly acquired one. I believe the Samsung Spinpoint or whatever was a pretty quality drive and then Seagate bought them and people began complaining about the quality of that (and often equate it with the drives of the purchasing company, for better or worse).
October 19, 2012 8:15:38 PM

djscribbles said:
WD Black drives are the gold standard for HDDs. Samsung Spinpoint F3 and WD Blue are close runners up.

OK that was kinda what I was thinking of last time too, thanks for the reinforcement. Ordering em now from Newegg.

This thread has been super helpful, hard to pick the "Best answer" since I've basically changed my question every time I posted. XD Thanks a lot community, much love! :love:  :love: 

:hello: 
October 19, 2012 8:40:49 PM

Best answer selected by Seroster.
a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 8:47:26 PM

Nooooo, scribbleess!!! (raises fist in air in fury) :p 
!