Sign in with
Your question

World of Warcraft latency spikes when high graphics, 9800 GT EE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2010 7:21:20 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong forum category.

Hey, I run a Dell Inspiron 530. It's all stock except for a replaced 1TB WD Harddrive and an Nvidia 9800 GT EE as suggested by this forum. The computer does everything I need it to do. Sure, some really new games can't exactly run full settings, but I don't really care about that.

Now, one of the games I play most often is World of Warcraft, and this is where my problem comes in. The World of Warcraft forum boards was unable to give me any suggestions on this problem. When I play, I have to play with very low settings. I can use my default resolution and turn up texture quality, but that's about it. This is not because the computer can't handle higher graphics; I can run it at almost full settings and still get 30 FPS in crowded places. This is because when I turn my graphics settings up, I get a slow but steady latency growth when I'm around players, which almost always ends up with a disconnection.

For example, I log into the game with Particle Density/Shadows up high. I am in a secluded area, and my latency is around 90ms, perfect. If I go to a city however, it starts going up. After a minute it's 150ms, then 300, then 500 and before you know it, "You have been Disconnected from the Server". It especially seems to hate Particle Density.

Now I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. The first suggestion was heat. I use EVGA Precision tool to turn my fan up to 80-90%, and even with high graphics my computer stays around 60 degrees, not too bad right? Apparently the network card is right next to the video card slot, but I don't know what I can do about that.

The other suggestion was that too many resources were working with the graphics and the networking didn't have enough data or something. If this is the case, I'd like a solution to that.

I know the problem is kind of vague, but I'd really like to get an answer. I can play fine on low settings, but I hate knowing that my computer can handle so much more.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
June 24, 2010 8:25:06 PM

I play WoW myself, so I know a lot about problems with that game, but I have never heard of this problem. I can't even figure out what mechanism would cause this.

Have you tried to upgrade the drivers to the latest? That's about all I can think of.
June 24, 2010 9:11:44 PM

Yep, have run driver updates on sound drivers, graphic drivers, network devices, etc.
And yeah, I've yet to see anyone with this problem, which makes it that much more frustrating.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 24, 2010 9:45:48 PM

Check you modem or router to see if it is overheating which is fairly common and update your drivers. Are you playing retail or on a private server?
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 24, 2010 10:54:18 PM

How long have you had this problem?

Have you tried playing without mods?
June 25, 2010 12:29:42 AM

I don't think my modem or router are overheating, they've got plenty of space and nothing else causes this kind of connection problem. And yes, I've tried without addons , still no difference.

And I run on retail server.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 25, 2010 3:27:38 AM

What is your bandwidth like? Latency tells us how fast the speed it takes to send a packet, but not have much it can send.

Poor bandwidth might cause this problem due to not being able to keep up with the demands of the game.

Try this program to see what we are dealing with: http://www.speedtest.net/
June 25, 2010 3:31:50 PM

My next step would be to try a complete rebuild of my WoW installation. Start from the original disks, install all the necessary expansions, then install the latest patches. Try it out with no addons first, if it works properly, add your necessary addons.
June 26, 2010 2:18:04 AM

@dgingeri have done this numerous times with no change in the problem I'm afraid.

Wow, this was surprising, I always assumed I had a great connection.
On second thought, could this be caused by having my router/modem a floor above my computer (which uses a wireless network card)? If so, at least I'd have somewhere to start.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2010 3:03:13 AM

I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are to run WoW smooth, but that's a lot lower than mine. I also have comcast, is it possible they are working on the lines in your area?
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2010 3:03:37 AM

i just ran the same test and my PC is also a floor down from my cable modem, i also use wireless

June 26, 2010 3:12:21 AM

Weird, internet never seems to be slow, is there anything I could do? Or would that require more info?
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2010 3:17:48 AM

run the test connected directly to your modem
June 26, 2010 3:32:04 AM

Sorry, double post
June 26, 2010 3:42:29 AM

I haven't the means to directly connect to my modem (don't have a cable right now) but I just tried with a computer that's about 3 feet away from my router and my Download speed was 8.79 while my upload speed was 1.89.
A bit better, but still pretty low

EDIT: misunderstood rating system, apologies.
!