Sign in with
Your question

Unable to read files

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 7:17:28 PM

Hello, Following a problem on my system, I renewed the internal Hard Drive, and installed the old one into a 'caddy' so that I could transfer the files, but now unable to read content of Documents and Downloads etc, can you help please.
Thanks
Jim

More about : unable read files

a c 79 G Storage
October 19, 2012 8:28:45 PM

If you are getting "Access Denied" errors, that's normal for the scenario you have described. Your new Windows installation has no way of knowing that you are the owner of the old user account on the hard drive you've put into a caddy, so it thinks those folders belong to someone else.

You can overcome that by "taking ownership" of the affected folders: http://techfleece.com/2011/05/15/how-to-take-ownership-...

(Sorry if the article is for a different Windows version but you didn't say which version you have).
October 20, 2012 9:10:52 AM

phil22 said:
If you are getting "Access Denied" errors, that's normal for the scenario you have described. Your new Windows installation has no way of knowing that you are the owner of the old user account on the hard drive you've put into a caddy, so it thinks those folders belong to someone else.

You can overcome that by "taking ownership" of the affected folders: http://techfleece.com/2011/05/15/how-to-take-ownership-...

(Sorry if the article is for a different Windows version but you didn't say which version you have).

Hello Phil, Thanks for your advice, I am using win 7 so that was ok with the info. I have carried out the steps suggested, and whilst I am able to view a number of files, such as Programs, Windows, windows.old, Programme Data, etc, (incidentally these could be viewed before) the Library files are still not visible? Could they be contained in another file on this drive? Just to confirm also that I now have ownership of the drive.
Thanks for you help.
Jim
Related resources
a c 86 G Storage
October 20, 2012 11:10:25 AM

Win 7 libraries are basically links to the original locations and those links get invalid, if the drive letter / location changes. You should find your files in the ?:\users directory on the old disk.
October 20, 2012 12:11:22 PM

noidea_77 said:
Win 7 libraries are basically links to the original locations and those links get invalid, if the drive letter / location changes. You should find your files in the ?:\users directory on the old disk.

Okay, thanks, it was originally the c:/ drive and has now become the 'I' drive, how do I open the library files then?
Regards Jim
October 20, 2012 2:17:15 PM

Thank you both for your recent invaluable help and assistance, I managed to open the files by 'taking ownership of the 'users' file,
Thanks again!
Jim
!