Sign in with
Your question
Solved

File Record Segments are Unreadable

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 7:44:48 PM

It all started yesterday. I had an alarm set on my computer and I took a nap. The alarm never went off and when I finally woke up, I saw that my computer had been restarted. I figured it was just an auto-update and I didn't think anything of it. This morning though, I started using my computer and I got some weird error messages saying that "The instruction at [string #] referenced memory at [different sting #]. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e. Click OK to terminate the program."

I got several of these messages and after clicking okay on all of them I was left with only a blank desktop (the explorer.exe must have been killed too because the taskbar was gone). When I tried to open the task manager, I was presented with another error that said, "The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL + ALT + DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch." I finally restarted my computer and this happened several times until one time a the startup, CHKDSK started running. I let it run and finish and the first stage (verifying files) returned that four file record segments were unreadable (7536, 7537, 7538, 7539). Toward the end of the end, CHKDSK deleted several files (ex. "Deleting index entry AM77EA~1.175 in index $I30 of file 6265.").

Anyway, since then, I only had the weird error messages from the beginning of this post and only had to restart my computer once. That was when I went into the Command Prompt and ran CHKDSK manually (I meant to run it with /R, but accidentally ran it normally). Other than that though, my computer seems to be working fine. I have CHKDSK C: /R scheduled to run on the next restart.

Should I be worried about my HD failing? I've read other posts about this and most had many unreadable file record segments and they were suggested to prepare for total HD failure. Since mine only has four though, do I need to be worried and should I start preparing for and HD failure? This is my only computer and I need it on a daily basis, so if I can fix this myself, I would much prefer that to sending it in (I still have a warranty). I also heard that if I format long, that will remove/ignore the bad sectors from the partition and I can put my image of the C drive back and that should fix the problem. Does that sound like it would work? I have images of my that drive already so that would be no problem to do.

P.S. Sorry to anyone who read this post before it was completed. I accidentally hit submit while I was typing.

Other info:
This is a laptop running Win 7 64-bit
8GB RAM
750GB HD
If you need more info, let me know.

Thank you for your help!

Best solution

a c 79 G Storage
October 19, 2012 8:21:14 PM

Unreadable portions of the hard drive will only get worse over time, until eventually it will fail altogether, so don't ignore it. Backup any new data which wasn't included in the last disk image you created, then replace the drive with a new one.
October 20, 2012 8:51:19 AM

I was expecting that, though I was hoping for a better answer. I suppose I will buy a new a hard drive then. Now, another question: right now I have a 750GB drive at 5400 rpm and I found two HDs online. Should I buy a [Toshiba] 1tb at 5400 rpm for $98 or another [Seagate] 750GB at 7200 rpm that is an SSD-HDD hybrid for $120?
m
l
October 20, 2012 2:04:48 PM

Best answer selected by michaelzicc.
m
l
!