Sign in with
Your question

Do gtx 460 worth waiting

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2010 7:35:10 PM

do gtx 460 worth waiting i was planning to buy a 5770 or 5830 it was planed to go tommaro but today i was just surfing around and saw gtx 460 is going to be released in july so

the question is gtx 460 really worth waiting

or just go with 5830 or 5770

More about : gtx 460 worth waiting

a c 271 U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 7:40:22 PM

As no one knows bugger all about the GTX460 and how it will perform, why don't you just wait for some benchmarks when the card gets reviewed?
June 24, 2010 7:40:25 PM

Most people would recommend the HD5770 mostly because it has nice price:p erformance and should be able to give you pretty good frame rates unless you're playing at higher resolutions like 1080p or something.
Related resources
June 24, 2010 7:43:32 PM

my gaming would just be around 1280x1024 but on enthusiast setting probably with some AA too
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 7:55:59 PM

You can guarantee that if the OP buys a GTX465 that he "will" be able to unlock it to a GTX470?

I thought that only worked/works with a certain brand
June 24, 2010 9:01:41 PM

I still think he should be looking at the HD 5770 if he's playing at that resolution.

And from my personal experience, my GTX 470 has given me quite a few problems which makes me a bit bias, I guess.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 5:54:09 AM

Rumors say the 460 can reach 470 speeds with a hefty overclock, wait till mId July. They should start around 230.00$..
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 6:06:48 AM

Averagegai said:
I still think he should be looking at the HD 5770 if he's playing at that resolution.

And from my personal experience, my GTX 470 has given me quite a few problems which makes me a bit bias, I guess.

Big fan of ATI huh?
wat do ati have over Nvidia? low price? is that all wat u consider? wat abt features offered by nvidia...u r payin xtra for that
when it comes to heat...yeah some nvidia gpus runs hot....but most of em are close to ati and also remember...nvidia gpu has more threshold than ati so it doesnt really matter...
then power? if u r really worried abt power consumed by your pc then y do big sli nd crossfire stuffs,,, just settle wid a console like ps or xbox...
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 6:14:50 AM

IROC_69 said:
do gtx 460 worth waiting i was planning to buy a 5770 or 5830 it was planed to go tommaro but today i was just surfing around and saw gtx 460 is going to be released in july so

the question is gtx 460 really worth waiting

or just go with 5830 or 5770

gtx 460 is worth waiting for...
not much time left for it to be out....
just see its performance and decide... :) 
June 25, 2010 6:42:50 AM

Uh, you can consider me just the opposite of an ATI fanboy... I don't own a single ATI card, I just hear the 5770 get recommended a lot. Nvidia cards, however, I own a 7600GT, 8600GT, GTX 260, and GTX 470. The 7600 and 8600GT died on me about one and a half year into their lifetime and my new GTX 470 has been giving me problems.

I just feel that buying recently released cards might be a bad idea because of the immature drivers.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 7:04:56 AM

if u haven't used an ati card then y r u recommending them to someone??

7600 nd 8600 died?...well...its just opposite with me...my 8600gt which runs damn hot(not now..)with load temp at around 105c is still wrkin fyn...it ran like that for nearly an year.. still not dead...i am using it now in my 2nd pc...

June 25, 2010 7:09:24 AM

If you read my post carefully, I said I hear it get recommended a lot. Like 90% of the time whenever people ask for graphic card suggestion for mid systems. And secondly, I don't have to own the card to know how it runs. I can tell by looking at benchmarks from review sites and judging from TC's resolution, it seems like the better card for the money.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 7:16:39 AM

well...if u google u ll find lot of review...some will prove that card to be better
and some will prove the opposite... lol
ok...leave it...y fight on this...
btw wat prob u have wid ur gtx 470?
June 25, 2010 7:25:43 AM

Yeah, I'd rather not get into silly arguments xD

Well I'm on my 3rd GTX 470 atm. My first one kept crashing and artifacting during boot-up (at the Windows 7 "Welcome" screen) so I RMAed it. The problem still occur when I put the card into my other computer and replaced my PSU with a Corsair TX750w, btw.

EVGA sent me another one which was beaten up even though they said I was getting a brand new card, not a re-certified one, because the one I sent in was less than 30 days old. The card came all scratched up, but I didn't mind at first. But then as I was playing games, my computer would crash w/o warning. I'm pretty sure it's not my PSU.

With my third card, it likes to cause my computer to randomly shut down while playing SC2, but I think that's mainly due to some driver conflict as the game is still in beta.

I'm not gonna bash on Nvidia just because of my experiences, though. I apologize if it seemed like I was.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 7:33:24 AM

wat r the temps while u r gamin?
reply to this in the other post...
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 3:27:37 PM

You won't know if the 460 is worth waiting for till it comes out. If you want something now then get something now.
June 25, 2010 3:34:56 PM

Wow this thread went off topic!

Tbh the 465 and 460 won't be much price difference? And if the 465 u locks to 470 speeds then why bother waiting? The 465 is bound to be a touch better then he 460.
a c 141 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 6:25:43 PM

Quote:
They're claiming the 460 will do 1Ghz clock speeds but i'll wait till i see it

not sure about that but they some sites said that with little volt increase the clock could hit 900mhz. but i'm agree with you. we have to wait until the official review is out. i think that some reviewer already playing around with the card
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 6:29:40 PM

I hope it owns all (for its price). Keeping my fingers crossed.
June 25, 2010 7:42:33 PM

ok well then i will just wait cause i m not in that hurry since all the good staff will be released after july e.g crysis 2
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 7:48:47 PM

yes, you are better off waiting, you will have more options and better prices =)

a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 8:51:00 PM

OvrClkr said:
Rumors say the 460 can reach 470 speeds with a hefty overclock, wait till mId July. They should start around 230.00$..

Yeah, but at the OP's resolution of 1280x1024... a $150 ATI 5770 is plenty. LOL Unless of course nVidia pulls a fast one with it's naming scheme as usual, and the GTX 460 is faster than the GTX 465. :kaola: 
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 8:57:56 PM

jerreece said:
Yeah, but at the OP's resolution of 1280x1024... a $150 ATI 5770 is plenty. LOL Unless of course nVidia pulls a fast one with it's naming scheme as usual, and the GTX 460 is faster than the GTX 465. :kaola: 

Yea but he can worry about the monitor later on.. If the 460 can achieve 470 speeds with a nice OC then buying a 5770 would be a waste, even if its 80.00$ cheaper.
June 25, 2010 9:00:03 PM

^ That's exactly what I've been trying to say. There's really no need to wait for a stronger, more expensive card, when you can get an HD 5770 right now and be able to play most games pretty well at that resolution. And I don't think the argument about prices dropping if you wait valid because prices will always drop, it's just how the market works. Time is money, if you ask me.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 9:34:58 PM

OvrClkr said:
Yea but he can worry about the monitor later on.. If the 460 can achieve 470 speeds with a nice OC then buying a 5770 would be a waste, even if its 80.00$ cheaper.

If the OP has any interest in upgrading their monitor (which I honestly think is a very good idea) then I most certainly agree. But, if the OP is not interested in a better monitor, the ATI 5770 is the better option as the GTX 460 would be a waste. Even at 1080p though, I'm still more of a fan of the ATI 5850 or GTX 470, simply because I've never had the greatest luck with OC'ing video cards.

Then again, I personally think everyone should play at 1080p (or higher). :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 9:37:46 PM

Quote:
They're claiming the 460 will do 1Ghz clock speeds but i'll wait till i see it

They said that about the R500, G80, R600, Cypress... all were supposed to be the first shipping 1Ghz GPU, nope.
Until it arrives, I don't care what someone with a compressor or LN2 got it doing... I'll wait for a real test under somewhat real-world situations.

BTW, as for it reaching GTX470 speeds, it matter more about reaching that performance with an overclock, reaching that speed on an overclock is not impressive due to the difference in components.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 9:50:44 PM

jerreece said:
If the OP has any interest in upgrading their monitor (which I honestly think is a very good idea) then I most certainly agree. But, if the OP is not interested in a better monitor, the ATI 5770 is the better option as the GTX 460 would be a waste. Even at 1080p though, I'm still more of a fan of the ATI 5850 or GTX 470, simply because I've never had the greatest luck with OC'ing video cards.

Then again, I personally think everyone should play at 1080p (or higher). :) 

I understand your point and it makes sense in a way but this is my point, the 5770 is going to cost him around 165.00$ shipped unless he opts for an inferior model. If he spends a bit more on the GPU it will actually be more futureproof in terms of performance per dollar. So IMO it would be better to spend around 60.00$ more and later on when he gets a bigger screen he wont have to worry about low FPS. Now if he decides on the 5770 (which is still a great card) he will lose FPS once he opts for the bigger monitor. Of course if the OP is NOT going to upgrade the monitor (just like you posted) then the 5770 would be the best choice.

a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 9:54:13 PM

mjsharma said:

wat do ati have over Nvidia? low price? is that all wat u consider? wat abt features offered by nvidia...u r payin xtra for that
when it comes to heat...yeah some nvidia gpus runs hot....but most of em are close to ati

What exactly are these features doing to add heat when they're primarily software features no being used in games when they are still running hotter than the competition. Run down a list of those features and their respective TDP or per watt.

Quote:
and also remember...nvidia gpu has more threshold than ati so it doesnt really matter...

According to what? Especially this unknown new GPU which has all of maybe a few dozen samples in the field to draw this conclusion from?

Until they launch with people testing them on more than those select few, it's pretty optimistic to be relying on OCs alone.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 10:10:36 PM

With the current pricing for widescreen lcd's I can't understand a gamer/computer user, not upgrading to at least a 1680x1050 monitor. I was at Best Buy today, a 19,20,20.5 inchers can be had for a little over a 110 ish, 23' 1080p 230 ish. I get, if some can't afford upgrades, but if your considering a gaming gpu..... Just surfing the web is 'sweeter' with a nice widescreen ! I mention Best Buy, because they had a working eyefinity setup on display with 3 , 19 inch HP monitors, a HP amd tower, with a 5750. My niece was impressed, :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 10:37:15 PM

OvrClkr said:
I understand your point and it makes sense in a way but this is my point, the 5770 is going to cost him around 165.00$ shipped unless he opts for an inferior model...

Depends on launch prices from nV's AIBs and reaction prices from ATi's AIBs, difference could be more, even now HIS with free shipping $150, and that's not an inferior model, and that's before any reaction price drop.

'Futureproofing' has always been a ridiculous term especially this far into a generation, in most cases it makes more sense at the time of you need for more power to sell what you have and then with the savings you would've had then buy something else, resale +$75.

We'll just have to see it's performance against it's other options too the interesting thing will be to see it versus the GTX275 and two HD5750s because those were what were the big problems for both the HD5830 and the GTX465.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 11:18:53 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Depends on launch prices from nV's AIBs and reaction prices from ATi's AIBs, difference could be more, even now HIS with free shipping $150, and that's not an inferior model, and that's before any reaction price drop.

'Futureproofing' has always been a ridiculous term especially this far into a generation, in most cases it makes more sense at the time of you need for more power to sell what you have and then with the savings you would've had then buy something else, resale +$75.

We'll just have to see it's performance against it's other options too the interesting thing will be to see it versus the GTX275 and two HD5750s because those were what were the big problems for both the HD5830 and the GTX465.

hehe, what I mean by "inferior" is a GPU with a crummy warranty, not known for good cooling/cheap sink, bad track record, bad CS, etc.

Example :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

compared to :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This HIS would be a good buy @ 157.00$ shipped but I would still wait because chances are AMD will lower their current prices on the 5830/5850, once the 460 drops (assuming that what we have heard already is true).

What I find interesting and still unbelievable is the fact that NV's pricing is right where it should be, we are finally starting to see some Bang for Buck when in fact it was the other way around, ex : 2xx series.
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 4:17:06 AM

Yep missing your target kinda puts that pressure on you, AMD missed their in the R600 and had to rethink their pricing, and now nV missed their target and had to rethink theirs (while AMD started to boost their back), benefits the consumer when these guys struggle a bit.

I agree about waiting, but if he's comparing to a GTX460 to me waiting was a given.

Regardless of what anyone thinks/hopes the GTX460 could be awesome or a dog and change economic situations, like a price drop of HD5770/5830 might not help if performance is too far away with the GTX a clear winner even if xx$ more expensive and..or.. may cause changes in HD5850 instead and maybe they are both attractive depending on your price point, or the other way and then not much changes other than the GTX460 taking the place of the GTX465 with maybe the price tags just changing a bit.

BTW, the other HIS which is $149 after rebate comes with the free shipping like the Sapphire Vapor-X one, that was the one I meant earlier. But even still it's not much of a rebate and no where near what will happen if there's some real competition in the segment, especially if it's cheaper for nV and AIBs to get it to the masses than the GTX465 it's replacing.
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 7:16:55 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Yep missing your target kinda puts that pressure on you, AMD missed their in the R600 and had to rethink their pricing, and now nV missed their target and had to rethink theirs (while AMD started to boost their back), benefits the consumer when these guys struggle a bit.

I agree about waiting, but if he's comparing to a GTX460 to me waiting was a given.

Regardless of what anyone thinks/hopes the GTX460 could be awesome or a dog and change economic situations, like a price drop of HD5770/5830 might not help if performance is too far away with the GTX a clear winner even if xx$ more expensive and..or.. may cause changes in HD5850 instead and maybe they are both attractive depending on your price point, or the other way and then not much changes other than the GTX460 taking the place of the GTX465 with maybe the price tags just changing a bit.

BTW, the other HIS which is $149 after rebate comes with the free shipping like the Sapphire Vapor-X one, that was the one I meant earlier. But even still it's not much of a rebate and no where near what will happen if there's some real competition in the segment, especially if it's cheaper for nV and AIBs to get it to the masses than the GTX465 it's replacing.

The card looks nice n compact, something that is an advantage since the 5830 is bit long and does not fit in smaller cases.

The 1Gb seems interesting,

Quote:
The 1GB cards has a claimed retail price of $250, while the 768MB version is due to cost $230. As a teaser, apparently a stock-voltage GTX 460 was overclocked from a core frequency of 675MHz to 830MHz while the application of extra voltage managed to push the core beyond 900MHz. This overclock is claimed to have made the card match the GeForce GTX 470 for performance.

June 26, 2010 7:24:29 PM

Personally I think that I'd hang on to my money for the time being, unless I'm in urgent need of a graphics card. The GF 104 isn't far off, right? While we don't exactly know how powerful the best GF 104 will be, I still hope for some kind of domino effect on most graphics card pricing. It seems that ATI has quite a bit of leeway to play with regarding the pricing of their card, so hopefully we'll see a pricing war.

That, of course, is assuming that the GF 104 is actually good, which we'll only see when it comes out. The best situation for all of us really is a generation in which both ATI and nVidia do very well.
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 2:44:49 AM

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/graphics/graphics/newe...
reported newegg had the listings for the GTX 460, but are now gone. NO prices, but listed the clock speed on one model as 725mhz, found that curiously interesting ! Can't wait to see the launch reviews for these. Perhaps the next, 'diamond in the rough' ? If its 40nm design can deliver up to 900mhz ? or more :) 

edit: http://www.techpowerup.com/125924/GeForce_GTX_460_Prici...
Is guessing 199 /229 us . Thats better than the 249.99 I saw predicted earlier. Of course that is what the 465 is now going for (us).
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 2:56:13 AM

notty22 said:
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/graphics/graphics/newe...
reported newegg had the listings for the GTX 460, but are now gone. NO prices, but listed the clock speed on one model as 725mhz, found that curiously interesting ! Can't wait to see the launch reviews for these. Perhaps the next, 'diamond in the rough' ? If its 40nm design can deliver up to 900mhz ? or more :) 

edit: http://www.techpowerup.com/125924/GeForce_GTX_460_Prici...
Is guessing 199 /229 us . Thats better than the 249.99 I saw predicted earlier. Of course that is what the 465 is now going for (us).

It was there.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25372
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 7:55:26 AM

More horrible prices for the UK :/  £200 for a card that will probably (going by the naming scheme) be slower than a GTX465. I payed £210 for my ASUS HD5850 a week ago. I hate living in the UK sometimes.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 5:25:35 PM

Rustyy117 said:
More horrible prices for the UK :/  £200 for a card that will probably (going by the naming scheme) be slower than a GTX465. I payed £210 for my ASUS HD5850 a week ago. I hate living in the UK sometimes.

Yeah, I can't see myself going Fermi any time soon.
!