i7 980x Cpu
Evga x-58 SLI Classified MotherBoard
2 watercooled Gtx 480s and a Gtx 480 Dedicated physx Card
6Gb 1333 Mhz triple Channel Corsair Dominator memory
1.5 Tb Hard drive
Asus Blu Ray player
Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series PCI Express Sound Card
I will be doing around a 30% overclockng
How high should i go on a Power supply. i was thinking about the 1200w Corsair AX1200. Are there any recommended Power supplies that may be better.

please leave imput on the Build aswell as how big of a PSU i should go

mattharris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

yea its going to be a monster. do you think 1200 would be enough?

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
a 480 dedicated to PhysX but no SSD?

Build seems all over the place. Get a 120gig SSD for main drive, and grab a 2TB for storage.

Having a 480 for dedicated PhysX is supreme overkill, and really unneccesary.

And what monitor are you gonna be using for this wacky build? a 20" TN LCD?

sir philus

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

i agree a gtx 480 dedicated physx is insane, if you have the money to blow get a tri SLI motherboard, also i wouldnt get an i7 980X it is supreme major overkill, get an i7 950 and OC it or something, what is the pc for may i ask?

mattharris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I do alot of Graphic Design work but i am also a gamer. I just wanted to build a system that is going to be around for a long time before some game comes out that can even begin to give it a struggle. Yea a Gtx 480 physx Card is overboard but hey what the hell you only live once everyone is entitled to go overboard once in awhile especially when it comes to something that im as passionate about when it comes to computers. This is just a Rough build if u have any suggestions Feel free to leave any ideas

mattharris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

And yes i do have a 120 gig Corsair SSD i forgot to mention as far as monitor im going to just use my Panosonic 42 inch HD LCD TV i didnt think to much about monitors as i am still in the research stages of putting everything together
if you could recommend a monitor that would be awsome

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Myswell go for either Surround or 3D with all that hardware, even 120hz in surround without doing 3D would be wicked.

What games are you planning on playing?

Oh and I'm pretty sure you'd benefit more from TRI-SLI then SLI + PhysX

A 480 for PhysX isn't just overkill... it's actually retarded. Petey has it right, you'd get FAR better performance with tri SLI 480s than with one stuck on PhysX.

Honestly, I have a mere GT240 for dedicated PhysX and it NEVER sees 100% usage. Not even close. 35% would be average usage in games like Metro 2033, Mafia 2, Cryostasis... On top of that, there's probably only 5 or 6 PhysX accelerated games you will even ever play.

Also, with that much GPU horsepower it's going to complete waste on a single monitor. Two 480s could max every game ever at 1920x1200, let a lone 1080p. You should put some of that budget towards 3 monitors or a 3D setup.

And you say graphic design. If doing rendering I can understand the need for the 980X as more cores = more rendering. But if you're not rendering... well, let's just say for gaming that much CPU is a waste.

But, since you've got the cash to burn, go for it!

Also, I hope you do some serious research into watercooling. It's not something to just pick up and go with... I would hate to hear that you got a leak and fried the entire system.

mattharris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
i understand where your coming from the physx and stuff being over kill,
My watercooling im not doing the watercooling myself i have a friend who has been doing liquid cooling for that past few years and knows what hes doing
I do a ton of rendering so the 980x is something i would benfit from no doubt. As far as monitors i have no idea what monitors are worth a damn so any suggestions would help.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
if you are rendering, may i suggest the evga sr-2 and two xeon 5600 level cpus (xeon 5670 x 2 = 2 x 6c/12t)

that way, you get FAR more rendering power, and since this is not a server motherboard, you get 4 way sli support and OCing options.

not to mention life time warranty on the board

you also needs 1500w psu, no ifs, ands, or buts, for a setup like that

or 2 1000w load balanced psu, which is now getting expensive...

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/