I can't figure out whats wrong with my dell please help!

nestorbarragan4

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I have a Dell XPS stock. I was streaming videos online when the computer restarted with a blue screen and when i tried to power it back up it wouldn't go back to windows. I can see the start up like for example when i start it i can see the dell windows menu. I am not sure where to began my trouble shoothing. It says that my monitor has no signal. It crashed could it be my graphics card or something else? I haven't had any problems with the computer

If you can see the DELL log when you turn on your PC, try to go into Save Mode.

Should you be able to get into Save Mode, you try uninstalling the video drivers and reboot. Once you get into regular Windows, you will need to reinstall the drivers.

Just a thought here, this dell machine ?
Does it have intergrated graphics on the board.
Does it also have a Pci-e graphics card installed in the pci-e slot.

If so you may find your bios has reset its self back to the onboard graphics chip on the board.
You may have to switch your vga output cable to the other 15 pin RGB port.
Or go into the bios and disable the onboard graphics.

F.Y.I

crashtestaddict

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

I had 2 new Dell XPS's that blue-screened on me, among other things. The problem was the garbage Nvidia GT220 GPU that was installed in them.

Returned both of them. However, before returning the last one, I upgraded the GPU to an ATI Radeon HD 5770, and an Antec 650 watt PSU. The very same day I brought the computer home, it amber lighted on me with 6 beeps.

POS! is all I can say. I bought a Gateway FX6840-23, Intel i7, 1 terabyte HD, with an ATI Radeon HD 5750 GPU. This thing hasn't so much as hiccuped, and I've thrown all kinds of things at it, including FSX, Crysis, CoH, photo and video editing, ect.

If your Dell has an Nvidia GT220 graphics card, ditch it. However, I had issues even after I had the innards changed out on the last one I got. No more Dell for me.

TRENDING THREADS