Error message power supply

sherry9oct

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
I googled it and found that the problem is with bios i am using assus motherboard. People with other PSU are having the same problem even 700W people are having this problem with the same motherboard so its the motherboard. They say that the motherboard calculated Hz ripples badly when using big Gfx card. The problem comes when you put on load on your system and the take it off which creates a ripple which my motherboard is calling bad. My system is running smooth no problems till now. Only the error message makes me feel fishy.

You motherboard isnt what causes the ripple, its the low quality Cooler Master PSU.

Emerald, checking the voltages in the BIOS works as a pretty good sanity check when you compare the readings to Windows voltage monitoring software. But the big problem is that the BIOS is reporting the readings when the system is under minimum load.

Sherry, two points. First, there's a lot of barely adequate junk at all power levels out there. You cannot judge the quality of a power supply solely by its power rating. And a GTX460 is hardly a "big Gfx card". A GTX460 only needs about 12 amps, about 150 watts max.

I'd like to see some of the threads you saw online. Can you post a couple of links?

Second, a cheaply built PSU is not going to have the same kind of voltage regulation under a quickly and widely varying load that one of the better brands will.

^ Amen to that jsc.
Second, a cheaply built PSU is not going to have the same kind of voltage regulation under a quickly and widely varying load that one of the better brands will.
^ THIS is what really matters. Most of those cheap PSUs can't do this well.

@OP: Get a quality Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PC Power or XFX PSU. A Corsair 650TX or an XFX 650W is more than enough for your rig.