Sign in with
Your question

CS5 Build - Is This Enough RAM?

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2010 5:41:45 PM

I'm making a CS5 build with the following components:

CPU: i7-930 (probably will be OC'd)
Mobo: GA-X58A-UDR3
GPU: 5850 (this build might be used for gaming, hence the higher-end GPU)

Here's my question: Will this RAM be enough to handle all the rendering from CS5 (photoshop, illustrator, et al)?... Or should I double down and get 12 gigs instead of just the 6 gigs I linked?

More about : cs5 build ram

August 1, 2010 9:36:39 PM

thats an overkill.. i have cs4, cs5, sai easy paint tool.. ect.. as well as a wacom intuos4.. im using 4 gigs of ddr3 1333.. 6 gigs would be WAY more than enough.. actually if you get 12 gigs it may even be slower than if you only had 4.. id suggest 4gigs.. but if you want 6.. hey.. kool.. but it wouldnt be needed or improve the speed..
August 1, 2010 9:47:03 PM

I suppose a good question would be what size of projects are you working on in CS5? Much larger, more intensive Illustrator projects may need more computer power than a simple project. I've seen an extremely complex design rendered entirely in Illustrator for an art exhibit where the artist kept adding more and more detail. The design was projected across about half a dozen panels and constantly changed based on lighting.

I use CS5 photoshop and Illustrator a lot on my late 2006 desktop with no problems. So I believe your system will do superb compared to my machine regardless of the project you're working on. If you are doing a lot of video editing, you will see an advantage with more memory. However I do believe the 6gbs of memory you linked to will be just fine.

Related resources
August 1, 2010 10:08:22 PM

@jesman1985
Thanks. I had a feeling that 12 gigs might slow it down which is why I asked. As for running 4 gigs, I'm using an i7 which means I need triple channel RAM, so I'll just stick with the 6 gigs

@rabidbunny
The CS5 projects (and any other minor video editing projects I may do with Roxio or Nero) won't be too large so if you think 6 gigs is good, then I feel good about it too

Thanks to you both!
August 2, 2010 12:19:12 AM

kailuaboi said:
@jesman1985
Thanks. I had a feeling that 12 gigs might slow it down which is why I asked. As for running 4 gigs, I'm using an i7 which means I need triple channel RAM, so I'll just stick with the 6 gigs

@rabidbunny
The CS5 projects (and any other minor video editing projects I may do with Roxio or Nero) won't be too large so if you think 6 gigs is good, then I feel good about it too

Thanks to you both!

6 gigs it is.:)  Thank you bud.
!