Sign in with
Your question
Solved

90GB SSD vs 500GB HDD

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 9:25:26 PM

I need to decide on which to buy for my main drive. I am leaning towards the HDD because it seems more reliable, lifespan wise, than the SSD. I only plan on using approx 80GB and I would like this drive to last 5+ years. Your input?
EDIT: I'm referring to the Vertex 3 vs an average Seagate/WD/Toshiba

More about : 90gb ssd 500gb hdd

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 9:35:18 PM

It really depends on how much data you are writing to the drive. SSD can last a long time if you only read from it. But SSDs fare better if you leave a larger percentage of free space, if you filled 80 of 90 gb it would not be ideal. I would look into minimum of 120gb for SSD.
October 19, 2012 9:36:03 PM

navluap said:
I need to decide on which to buy for my main drive. I am leaning towards the HDD because it seems more reliable, lifespan wise, than the SSD. I only plan on using approx 80GB and I would like this drive to last 5+ years. Your input?

I think that the price wars that forced down HDD prices may have also affected quality. For consumer level drives failures seem to be quite high, compared to what they used to be. SSD's seem to have largely worked out stability problems that they had 2-3 years ago.

At this point in time provided both are not defective, both a SSD and a HDD will last for 5 years.

In terms of system usability I have found my ssd to be of immense benefit. I purchased a re-furbished SSD 1+ years ago and it's SATAII specs in pure mb/s are slower than my 3 disk raid 0; However the ssd access time gives a faster response to most of my tasks.
Related resources
October 19, 2012 10:24:05 PM

I mainly read from my drives but the fullness of the SSD was my main worry. You think an average 120GB would last about as long as an average 500 GB HDD (reading mainly and approx 80 GB used)?
a c 119 G Storage
October 19, 2012 11:48:02 PM

What will the setup be for drives in your computer? You have said that you are looking for a main drive, so how many drives will there be?
Here's the deal with SSDs, they are better when you don't fill them past 80% capacity and the smaller the SSD the harder it is to keep the drive from filling up. Everything that you download wants to load to the C drive so you will have to watch everything that you download and change the destination drive. I have found that the best size SSD for the main OS drive is a 256gb drive. It gives you the speed you need and the space you need to not have to constantly worry about where things are loading to. Currently you can get good quality SSD drives for under $200 and the 256gb size allows you to put the OS , several games and your most used prorams on it and you still have a lot of room left for Windows updates , service packs and driver updates. I have a Samsung 830 256gb for my boot drive and there are three games including the Steam program and several smaller programs and have 100gb free space which still allows me to load more games and programs.
Naturally you would have to have the budget to get a SSD of 256gb but there are also 180gb and 160gb so there are a lot of choices. You would have to look at how you use your computer and what you think you might be loading.
October 20, 2012 12:31:43 AM

Ah, if only I could fit a SSD that size into my budget. Looks like I'll be going with a HDD, just curious which brand of HDD do you guys prefer?
a c 119 G Storage
October 20, 2012 2:03:53 AM

Western Digital hard drives are generally very good and long lasting and dependable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89.99
Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

For some reason when I paste a link it doesn't work today but the drive is on newegg under hard drives and it should be fairly easy to find.
October 22, 2012 10:33:27 PM

inzone said:
Western Digital hard drives are generally very good and long lasting and dependable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89.99
Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

For some reason when I paste a link it doesn't work today but the drive is on newegg under hard drives and it should be fairly easy to find.

Be careful with that. I have had poor luck with the western digital green drives. Like always check out the newegg ratings on the drives. Some specific versions recently have been pretty unreliable.
a b G Storage
October 22, 2012 10:56:35 PM

Seagate is decent, too.
October 25, 2012 7:49:22 PM

If you are still looking for spinning disks I saw the 300gb raptor drive at new egg for $100 recently.

It had good capacity and fastest in class HDD speed.

navluap said:

October 28, 2012 5:33:48 PM

Best answer selected by navluap.
!