Sign in with
Your question

Need advice for selecting HD and SSD

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2012 9:54:05 PM

I almost have all the computer parts for my build, just need hard drive(s) and Windows. I am wondering what I should do. I have been considering buying a 256gb Samsung SSD for $170 and that should last me awhile as my only hard drive. Or should I buy a 64gb SSD for the boot drive, and also get say a 1TB Caviar Black hard drive. The cost would be about the same for either option. What would you guys recommend? Thanks. :) 

More about : advice selecting ssd

a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 10:21:10 PM

This is 100% based on the user, not much people give offer if they don't know how you will be using the system.

If I was buying I wouldn't bother buying a 64g ssd as that would be nearly useless imo.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 19, 2012 10:28:22 PM

Do not get a 64gb boot drive. get at least a 120gb

The problem is people who have done this, hit the ceiling of their boot drive, then spend a lot of effort having to micromanage their disk space and moving stuff around and being afraid even to save things on their desktop.
Not the end of the world, but this adds a maintenance headache, and your computer is supposed to make your life easier not harder.

If you want to go for the typical recommended route, you can keep your budget the same by choosing a non-black "regular" bulk harddrive, but get at least a 120/128gb ssd.
m
l
October 19, 2012 10:28:38 PM

Besides regular internet surfing, my special uses will be 3d modeling/rendering and some light gaming. It seems to me that only videos really take up the hard drive space, and I do not plan to do video editing, or download movies, etc. The computer has a i7-3770 processor.
m
l
!