New build, but there's some problems

G

Wasn't sure where else to put this, since I didn't see like a tech support area, so I put it here.

So I put my first build together today(pretty sure I put it all together correctly) and all I get when I start it up is:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

I then have two options, the first one is to run the windows start up repair tool, the second is to start vista normally, after I run the repair tool it tells me something along the lines of "This computer cannot fix the problems automatically" or something like that, and the second one just restarts everything everytime.

I've run the recovery tool, and that didn't help, my last option is to completely reformat the drive, and I don't want to do this all that much. I've also tried just using the integrated graphics to see if the 5770 was the problem, it still did it, I've also tried switching the RAM around the slots and it still did it.

Specs:
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
AMD Phenom II 965BE(got this on sale)
1 2GB stick of Crucial 1066 DDR3(planned on picking another one up next chance I get)
Corsair 750TX
Sapphire 5770
160GB Seagate HDD that came with my old HP Pavillion, still has Windows Vista on it.
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Lite-on CD-DVD burner
Antec 300

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
AMD Phenom II 965BE(got this on sale)
1 2GB stick of Crucial 1066 DDR3(planned on picking another one up next chance I get)
Corsair 750TX
Sapphire 5770
160GB Seagate HDD that came with my old HP Pavillion, still has Windows Vista on it.
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Lite-on CD-DVD burner
Antec 300
tecmo, it sure looks like it.

356, you will need to completely reinstall Windows for your new motherboard. And that means that you will probably need to contact Microsoft for reactivation.

tecmo34

Administrator
Yeah... I skipped over the 160Gb and just saw the WD 1TB Black. I guess if it was highlighted in red like you did jsc, I might have not missed it [:mousemonkey:5]

In truth, I think 356 would be better off doing a fresh install with just the WD 1TB Black and keep the 160GB Seagate as a backup drive in an external encloser. The 1TB Black would make for a much quicker responding system overall

G

Oh really? I had a feeling that was the problem, so I reformatted the 160GB and installed Windows XP Pro 32bit because HP didn't give me a recovery disk and I forgot to order one, and now I'm getting blue screen after blue screen when I start my computer, I was beginning to think the RAM was faulty, but after doing more reading I'm beginning to question that, but everything on my computer is XP compatible, I think, right?

Also, when I put the two HDDs in my Pavillion it works fine, is this some sort of ruse by HP or am I doing something wrong/are the parts not 100% compatible?

Thanks.

Edit: forgot to mention, this is the blue screen number thingus;
Ox0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xbaa278750, 0xbacc342c, 0xbacc3128)

TRENDING THREADS