Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 470 on 350 watt system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 24, 2010 8:48:53 PM

The system in question is a Dell Quadcore desktop with a 350 watt psu.

Is the GTX 470 even close to being viable, or should I look for something?
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 8:53:27 PM

GTX 470's TDP is 215 watts. There is no way a 350 watt psu would be suitable enough.

Minimum 550 watts, I would recommend at least 600 to 650 to be safe with PLENTY of amperage on the 12v rails.
m
0
l
June 24, 2010 9:06:51 PM

Unfortunate that ATI is so far ahead of nVidia when it comes to power consumption, but nVidia is so far ahead when it comes to acceptance by software vendors.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 9:09:25 PM

Shhh! Careful, you'll attract the fanboys! ; )
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 9:13:10 PM

Get a TX650 or greater, the 470 is picky when it comes to PSU's.
m
0
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 9:15:44 PM

LOL! Here is the requirements from EVGA "Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)"
Pay attention to the amps on the +12volt rail!
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 9:15:48 PM

A GTX460 might be worth looking at but you'll have about a month or so to wait for benchies and stuff.
m
0
l
June 24, 2010 9:32:17 PM

My main criterion is it has to be supported by Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. Currently GTX 280 or 285 is supported.

It's rumored that the GTX 470 and GTX 480 are being tested.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2010 9:48:55 PM

rolli59 said:
LOL! Here is the requirements from EVGA "Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)"
Pay attention to the amps on the +12volt rail!


We all know the requirements for the 470, in the Graphics section you will see many users that have a 550/650w and still have issues powering up the card. Many users including me have had to deal with the 470 not liking certain PSU's, especially the 4 rail cheapos ;) 

Look what happens when I connect a 470 to a cheap/inferior 850w (99.99$) PSU :



Then I swapped PSU's and everything went back to normal ;) 

Based on my tests the 470 does not like PSU's with rails under 20a. The PSU that I tested (850w) had 4 rails @ 17a each... Some users have no issues whatsoever so I guess its hit or miss so I normally recommend a single rail quality PSU just to be on the safe side.
m
0
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 2:14:45 AM

If you want the GTX 470 bad enough, then upgrade the PSU.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 2:34:05 AM

I would be interested to see if anything burns out if you try it out. If your brave enough get it and try it out, then run furmark and see what happens >:) 
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 2:36:46 AM

megamanx00 said:
I would be interested to see if anything burns out if you try it out. If your brave enough get it and try it out, then run furmark and see what happens >:) 

Oh that's just cruel.
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 11:21:34 AM

Just out of curiosity, does ATI make something comparable to the GTX 470, performance-wise.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 11:26:39 AM

Yes a GTX470 is between a HD5850 and HD5870, however neither of those cards will run on a 350W PSU.

m
0
l
June 25, 2010 11:34:55 AM

jaguarskx said:
If you want the GTX 470 bad enough, then upgrade the PSU.


Does Corsair make good PSUs? Right now Newegg has a 650 watt single ramp (52 amp) for $70 after rebate. The 750 watt vesion (60 amp on sinle rail) is $90.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 11:42:47 AM

Many may say Corsair make the best quality PSU's you can buy. They really are top quality.
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 2:03:08 PM

The Dell is nearly two years; I may be better off waiting a bit and then buying a whole new i7 computer.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 2:31:42 PM

^^what CPU does your DELL have?^^
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 3:18:40 PM

OvrClkr said:
^^what CPU does your DELL have?^^


It's a quad core Intel Q9400. I have 8 Gig RAM (the max) and two hard drives (750GB and 2TB).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 4:03:15 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Many may say Corsair make the best quality PSU's you can buy. They really are top quality.


PC Power and Cooling makes pretty good PSU's too. Corsair's are definitely nice too.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 4:05:59 PM

borisof007 said:
PC Power and Cooling makes pretty good PSU's too. Corsair's are definitely nice too.

Absolutely. :sol: 
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 4:26:06 PM

Once/if I install a crazy power supply, why wouldn't I just get a Quadro FX 3800? It's only a couple hundred more than a GTX 480.

Would heat be a problem?
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 5:41:40 PM

Btw I ran my 5850 on 350 Chieftec PSU for about 3 months and it was running fine. Only when I overclocked my cpu AND gpu then it ocasionally shuts down. It was perfectly stable on stock speed.

My other parts are x3 Athlon II 720 at 3.2 Ghz, 4x1 GB ram, 3HDD, 1 DVD, Sound card, 5 case fans, lots of usb gadgets.

If your 350 power supply is quality you can manage with 5850, but it will be barely. I dont recommend it :) 

I upgraded since to a 650 OCZ silver
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 5:49:13 PM

rawsteel said:
Btw I ran my 5850 on 350 Chieftec PSU for about 3 months and it was running fine. Only when I overclocked my cpu AND gpu then it ocasionally shuts down. It was perfectly stable on stock speed.

My other parts are x3 Athlon II 720 at 3.2 Ghz, 4x1 GB ram, 3HDD, 1 DVD, Sound card, 5 case fans, lots of usb gadgets.

If your 350 power supply is quality you can manage with 5850, but it will be barely. I dont recommend it :) 

I upgraded since to a 650 OCZ silver



Unfortunately I am locked into using nVidia because Adobe does not support certain acceleration functions with ATI.

I might actually be better off upgrading to an Intel i7 processor. It might cost me less than a top-end PSU and top-end nVidia GPU, and the performance enhancements will be system-wide rather than one function.
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 5:56:03 PM

Quad core Intel Q9400, 8GB Ram (maxed out), built-in Intel graphics card.
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 6:16:45 PM

^+1

Thats a great deal
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 6:18:25 PM

i'd say best nvidia card u can run on your current PSU is 9800gt, and performance wise its far away from gtx 470.
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 6:19:41 PM

Anyone here run Quadro FX?
m
0
l
June 25, 2010 8:40:31 PM

How far is the GTX 480 from the GTX 470?
m
0
l
!