3lsergio

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I posted earlier about having issues with a slow laptop and I thought it was because of the i3 and SpeedStep. But as I was installing drivers I tried to finish the Windows Experience Index and the CPU part passed but during the HDD section it stopped, and said the reason was because it took too long to finished. Windows explorer seems to freeze every time I do something be it execute programs or check folders. Could it be the HDD failing or something of that sort?

How long have you had the laptop? A hard drive can fail at any time it can be defective and only last a short amount of time so even if you haven't had the laptop long the hard drive can still fail. Uou can also have corupted files in the registry and a Windows repair might help or if you can safely sav your important data someplace then you could do a reinstall of Windows and that way you can know for sure if there is something wrong with the hard drive and you can then replace it.

3lsergio

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

It's not mine but they told me its been about 4 months since it was purchased brand new. I reinstalled Windows and it still seems to lag. That's what got me stumped. I've installed all the drivers and it got a bit better but at times anything I do shows the Not Responding and then takes a few secs to get back to normal.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Sergio,

Couple of tests to do:

Bring up the task manager, click on the Process tab, wait until the System Idle Process is 98-99%. Then switch to the Performance tab. Load a program or read a large file, and see if the CPU is nearing 100% utilization. If so, switch back to the Process Tab and see what process in hogging all the CPU time.

Other thing to do is to download and install HD Tune (or Pro). Choose this HDD. Click on the Health Tab to see if there are any SMART issure identified. Then click on the Benchmark Tab and let it complete. Report the Max Read rate, avg rate, min rate. It should drop from max to about half over the disk surface. Report the values or you can copy that screenshot, and upload it for us to see at your post back.

Finally click on the Error Tab, (could take a couple hours for a full scan) and see if there are any errors from the disk surface.

That may give you the info you need to find out why your HDD is running so slowly.

3lsergio

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing is hogging up CPU resources and I will check HD Tune only thing is I have to give back the laptop by tomorrow.