Connect PC to Home theather

rabinzx

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
There is a SPDIF port on both my motherboard.
I am tring to use the port to connect my PC with Theather (Panasonic Home Theater Sound System SC-PT660). and use the home theather as speaker? Here is my PC built.

My motherboard has on board audio funtion.
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard63909397 (newegg item #: N82E16813128435)

My home theather is Panasonic Home Theater Sound System SC-PT660
you can get information from there:http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Video/DVD-Recorders-Players/DVD-Home-Theater-Systems/Technical-Specification/model.SC-PT660.T#ts

I personally have two ideas.
1.use the audio ports from PC to AUX(red and white on home theather)

2. use SPDIF from PC to OPTICAL IN (on my home theather)

I am not sure these will work, please someone check it for me.

Solution
You can use either one. If you have the ports they will be compatible. The cleanest connection will be #2. Use the optical. I always get cleaner sound with optical connections. The red and white are analog, you can get more hiss and pops from computer background noise, avoid them.

poofypants

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
You can use either one. If you have the ports they will be compatible. The cleanest connection will be #2. Use the optical. I always get cleaner sound with optical connections. The red and white are analog, you can get more hiss and pops from computer background noise, avoid them.

Solution

rabinzx

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Here is the image of back of home theather. I not sure which cable should be plug into this port, or even it works or not. Could you guys give me a link of the cable that I should use to connect.

image of my motherboard

rabinzx

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

I am not using onboard graphics processor, I have a ATI HD5770, I can use the HDMI port from my graphics card to monitor(built in speaker which sounnd quality sucks ). The problem is my home theather does not have the HDMI In (it has out).

rabinzx

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I have received the cable, and it works, the only question is there is a bit noise from the speaker. I thought opitcal cable should have less noise(interfer) . When it was playing something, I will not be able to hear the noise. But when it stands by, yeah, it is there. Don't know why?

poofypants

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Spend some time with the settings. Smart volume management can do this, SMV. Or auto sound volume adjusting features. Turn them off if your computer software has it. Try adjusting volumes to on the computer and in the receiver. Usually I keep my computer low and use the receiver more to amplify the sound. Like anything usually you just have to play with the settings or disable a software enhancement or something.

My guess is it is something like the smart volume management. The optical cable will have zero interference.