Pushing a monitor behind it`s max supported res.

daywatch

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hi there. I have a 19 inch Hans G LCD monitor whose max supported resolution is 1280x1024

occasionally I went to personalisation-display settings-advanced-monitor and i checked a small box (which was about display unsupported resolutions or something similar) and now I`m running at 1360x1024. There were other res. too (up to 1900x1080) but they didn`t fit my monitor as well as 1360x1024.

After a while I started playing resident Evil 5 and when I clicked game settings it gave me the opportunity to select 1360x1024, as well as 1360x980 (or something similar, I`don`t remember) and the game ran smoothly even though my monitor did not support that resolution

Does this mean that if I will be able to play at 1600x1024 for example if I set the screen res. at 1600x1050?

Monitor has been on top of my upgrade list since I upgraded my video card, and If I can play at 1600x1050 or 1900x1080 I see no real reason to buy a new one

So, what do you guys think?

Solution
Just because it is running at that res and downscaling, doesn;t mean you actually have any more pixels on the screen. its just being crushed to fit, and often will look worse.

If you were using double the standard res (or some other multiple) this would basically be a kind of antialiasing. but it take s a big strain on the system, and the visaul gains are small. And using a marginally increased Res will lose some visual quality as it cannot map the pixels 1:1.

by getting a new monitor, you actually have more pixels. Gaming at a higher res will then mean much more detail in the image.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Just because it is running at that res and downscaling, doesn;t mean you actually have any more pixels on the screen. its just being crushed to fit, and often will look worse.

If you were using double the standard res (or some other multiple) this would basically be a kind of antialiasing. but it take s a big strain on the system, and the visaul gains are small. And using a marginally increased Res will lose some visual quality as it cannot map the pixels 1:1.

by getting a new monitor, you actually have more pixels. Gaming at a higher res will then mean much more detail in the image.

Solution

daywatch

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

Thanks for the info