What do you do with your old computer systems?

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hello! It's been a long time since I posted something here.

I've recently been contemplating building a new desktop computer but I have no idea what I would do with my old computer. My current biggest use of my desktop computer is mainly photo editing in Photoshop and some Illustrator. I do watch movies on my 26" LCD tv and listen to lots of music.

I know at some point I will need a new desktop to replace my late 2006 computer. I'm hoping to upgrade to a new machine in 2011 or 2012.

So I am just curious: What do you do with your old computers?

mrhoshos96

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
maybe use it as an htpc or add a bunch of 2tb hdd's and make it a home server
sell it??
or give it to one of your relatives

giveitaway here at toms and make a contest of the first one to post on your thread(lol)
yay i win [:henry chinaski:2]

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I used 1 for a burning station, have spare keyboard and mouse, have it hooked to the VGA port on my screen and my new system is connected through HDMI and DVI (depends on what I am doing) and can just change from 1 source to the other if I need to copy anything. Also a file storage server. I also gave one to a family member, sold another..... it's up to you really, ask yourself if you really need it, if not find someone that can use it and if it's family, give it to them at a really low price or free.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
@mrhoshos96: those are all good ideas. I particularly like the idea about making a tom's giveitaway contest! But I don't think it's going to happen.

What about scrapping some of the parts like the motherboard/cpu/ram? I'm sure the ram would sell easily. Does anyone go that route?