New laptop suggestions

repathon

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hello,
I am posting this for a friend of mine who is looking into purchasing a new laptop.

1_ Around 750$

2_ Laptop

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1366x768 or higher

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? he would only have the laptop with no other computer

5_How much battery life do you need? Doesn't matter

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games.
L4D2
Borderlands
Starcraft 2
any source engine games
highest setting above 30fps for any of those, probably around medium?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Skype, web surfing, etc

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? At least 250gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
newegg.com
We also live close to Oregon, so we may travel there to avoid sales tax, if best buy ends up being cheaper than online sales tax (8%)

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years or more

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? CD/DVD ROM

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. A removable graphics card would be nice

azurehobo

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hmm after reviewing that laptop it basically has the same specs as this HP G42-230US at first glance. I couldn't find a price on that page you linked to but this HP is normally $680 on most sites, newegg has it for $550 with another $50 mail-in rebate which brings it down to $500 with free shipping. The only thing I would be worried about is starcraft 2, it's minimum CPU requirement is 2.6Ghz so thats cutting it close (your's was 2.1ghz and the HP is 2.4ghz.)

And it's integrated graphics so don't try playing anything really new.