Help me make a list of the best non SF SSDs

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I only base this of real-life performance so unfortunetly the only website I know that actually check that with SSDs is hardwarecannucks. Anandtech is the worst SSD reviewer ever. All he does is a bunch of benchmarks, who gives a !"#% about benchmarks anyway, any monkey can run a benchmark and dataentry the results like their SSD reviews. The highest PC score isn't always the fastest or most reliable anyway. The point of this list is to find SSDs with the best garbage collection, screw SandForce.

So my conflusion for best durable non SF SSDs so far are;
Intel 520 > Corsair Series Pro > Crucial m4 (anything worse then this SSD won't be listed)

Note: All three are 240GB size. More interested in the 120GB sizes but it doesn't matter as long as the comparison isn't 120GB vs 240GB because it is unfair on the smaller drive.

I want to add the Samsung 830+ series SSDs, Plextor M5+ Marvell drives and Corsairs Neutron Series to this list but can't find 'real-life' performance reviews on them, from the same site (benchmarkers use their own unique methods to review products therefore, the source should be the same if possible). Below is the closest I can get, sadly most of those reviews are very brief.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/45940-ssd-reviews-thread-10.html

PS: Intel 520 is an exception to the SF rule because it can clean itself after a non TRIM mode with the software tool provided.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/50980-intel-520-240gb-cherryville-ssd-review-13.html

RealBeast

Titan
Those three are all very good, as is Samsung. I would probably still go with the 830 (I have several, as well as a number of Crucial M4 and Intel models), and give the Samsung 840 Pro some time to prove its reliability.

In my experience the Samsung 830 256 = Crucial M4 256 in real use.

For me the deciding factor among them is the best sale price at that time, which has lately been in the $160 range.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Good observation, would be nice to have some real-time benchmarks tho. VERY SHOCKED that hardwarecannucks haven't reviewed a 830, they don't cost anything. Also don't understand why people fanboy the Crucial M4 so much. At least now in 2012, yes the firmware updates made it faster and for that reason Crucial arguably have the best product support. But cmon, the Corsair Pro Series IS better (in 240GB class), period. If they lurk around the same price there is no reason to buy a M4 in 2012 and the Samsung is usually cheaper then it. I love Crucial but they need a M5 already. The V4 was a total disaster. However I would jump all over a M4 rebate.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this ssd forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

The database includes identification of the controller and flash memory.

You posted the point of the list would be to find SSDs with the best garbage collection. Are you interested in consumer ssd's or enterprise ssd's? Are you interested in aggressive garbage collection or passive garbage collection? Best case would be enterprise ssd's with aggressive garbage collection. Enterprise ssd's are very rarely discussed in this section of the forum.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Mainly a list for 120gb (it's the best 'budget' size) SSDs so they can fit win7 AND programs with some space to breathe... 64GB suck unless you use XP. You can enlighten us about Enterprice SSDs if you wish. Are they faster with the need of PCIe Controllers to run at optimal speeds? etc...

Know about your site johnny it is (for lack of a better word) f!"#ing awsome! It has more information then an English archive. Use it to check out PSU reviews and tiers. Does a PSU have to be modular to rate tier1?

Oh and you might want to know that bitdefender blocks your site unless I disable "block pages that contain 'phishing'" whatever that is.

irlwizard - My web host's server was hacked last Spring. Visitors from Brazil were redirected to some sort of Brazilian phishing scam that involved a Brazilian bank. All other incoming traffic was okay. I first got wind of it when I received a phone call from PhishTank informing me what happened. It took my web host two days to find and get rid of the offending files. PhishTank routinely sends out reports to other companies like bitdefender but the other companies are not very good at updating the information.

Here is the correct information straight from PhishTank:

http://www.phishtank.com/phish_detail.php?phish_id=1495796

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

I don't like Anandtech for SSDs. All they do are software benchmarks, buyers shouldn't give a !@#$ about them. You can't overclock a SSD either so I see no point for any type of buyer to look at SSD benchmarks that don't look at real-life performance. Hardware Cannucks and Johnnyguru do this. But Johnny guru only compares about 4 SSDs per review so you have to look through all the reviews to see the difference between e.g. 10 SSDs.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Johnny it's nice to know that you got that sorter. Personally I wasn't scared of it and disabled my Phishing block to access the site but on the bright side knowing what happened and how BitDefender dealed with it is good to know. Definetly +rep to BitDefender anti-virus.

TRENDING THREADS